Replace a GU10 Halogen with LED?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hello all,

I have a house full of GU10 light bulbs (not long moved in) and one of them blew the other day. I understand that I ought to replace this with an LED light however I have no idea what LED light I should use.

It is non-dimmable and all that I can see on the bulb casing is a number 41296 15W37. I just do not want to fuse the house by buying the wrong bulb and so far, googling has not been much help.

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
You can simply buy an LED GU10.

Dadam

We have GU10 spots in the kitchen and over the years probably got through a couple of dozen halogen ones. When you couldn’t as easily buy them any more we Just started replaced with GU10 LED bulbs of a similar equivalent power (actual wattage is a lot lower) and it’s been fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I recall with current leccy prices an LED GU10 will pay for itself in a matter of months if not weeks.

Replace the lot pronto.

This. We had a G4 LED lamp with 9 x 20w G4 halogen - got replacements off Screwfix (now cheaper from Amazon) which dropped consumption from 9 x 20w to 9 x 2w - 180w down to 18w. Also ran much cooler and we used to get heat issues with a couple of bulb sockets, no longer with LED.

When I was in my old house I had GU10s in several rooms

Constantly blowing and used half a power station

Just in the process of 'doing up' the bathroom, en-suit and downstairs loo here and the LED version of the GU10s are using about bugger all electric!
massively better

also - had 5 halogen bulbs in the main kitchen light - great light for cooking but again blew often and used loads of electrons
Replaced one a while ago and after a while realised that 2 old ones had blown so replaced them all

that was a while ago and none of the LED ones have blown since - and the power usage is far less!

well worth doing!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Halogen's never paid back as they were more expensive, and would blow and /or trip the RCD more than the old bulbs. LED's really make a difference now they come in warm white, and are getting much cheaper. The kitchen flo lamp was replaced by a LED strip, and it's much brighter and much lower consumption. I need to get one for the garage !

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
Total myth and marketing con.
There is a vast amount of resource tied up in the lamps you have installed in your home.

Several points. Thanks to the GU10 I retired at 50.

Your description sounds like an LED anyway.

Do it room by room.
Choose the room with the smallest number of bulbs in
Replace all the bulbs in that room.
Buy a decent, hopefully consistent brand, Philips, Osram. Then replace all those lamps. Buy 1 extra!
Then replace your failed lamp with one of the bulbs you removed from the area.
Now you have a spare for the failed lamp.
You also have spares for the medium term.

That way you have been very green, rather than chucking lamps with sequestered material ans usable life into landfill.

Last edited:
Total myth and marketing con.
There is a vast amount of resource ties up in the lamps you have installed in your home.
Several points. Thanks to the GU10 I retired at 50.

Your description sounds like an LED anyway.
Do it room by room.
Choose the room with the smallest number of bulbs in
Replace all the bulbs in that room.
Buy a brand, Philips, Osram. Then replace all those lamps. Buy 1 extra!
Then replace your failed lamp with one of the bulbs you removed from the area.
Now you have a spare for the failed lamp.
You also have spares for the medium term.

That way you have been very green, rather than chucking lamps with sequestered material ans usable life into landfill.

It's easy to tell if the bulbs are LED if you have a smart meter. Just turn the light on and if the usage shoots up - they're not LED.

Mike_P

Guru
Just looked at one of the LED GU10 bulbs in a 4 bulb kitchen light. It's 5 watt 3000K luminance which across the four is plenty bright.

Top Bottom