Converting Fluorescent tube to LED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So should be easy for the majority of fittings, simply swap the tube for an LED one and out the supplied dummy driver/starter in the driver slot.....however I don't have the type with a driver.

Apparently I have to bypass the ballast somehow??
PXL_20231226_095839833.jpg

PXL_20231226_095902423.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://www.ledkia.com/blog/uk/how-to-replace-fluorescent-tubes-with-led-tubes/

Is there some sort of connector I can get to join the input grey connector to the two output connectors?

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes a new LED unit is about £30-40 depending on brand and an LED tube about £12. (6ft)

I can just return the tube and buy a full unit and fit that. Inevitably that will have cable entry and brackets etc in different places so wint be a straightforward swap.

If there is a connector that I can simply plug into the input and outputs that is the least hassle and least wasteful, I can see one that may fit the bill for £6, I just need to have a closer look the innards of my fitting.

We don't seem to have a resident electrician on Cyclechat.

Last edited:

irw

Quadricyclist
We don't seem to have a resident electrician on Cyclechat.

There are a few of us around, but you’ve already had the right answer a good few times! 😉

It might be quicker and easier just to replace the whole light fitting

…it would appear to be cheaper (and, possibly easier) to replace the whole light fitting with an LED one.

I did this, I couldn't be bothered, so bought a complete twin led 8ft unit from Screwfix. It wasn't much more than a led tube.

I bought 3 x twin 6' LED strip lights from Toolstation for my recent workshop overhaul, just over £30 each l think?

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There are two different types of tube and the wiring changes between them. Can you confirm if your tube is option A or option B in the article you linked earlier.

My tube has two pins at both ends, both old fluro one and replacement LED tube

My fitting does not have a removable round starter to replace with the dummy one supplied with the LED tube.

Both types of tube have two pins at both ends to accommodate the sockets in the light fixture. Only two of the four pins need to be connected but there are two different styles that use different pins.

I don’t wish to offend but it sounds like you are struggling with the basics and I’d tend to agree with others that you are best to replace the whole fitting, if only on the grounds of safety.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Both types of tube have two pins at both ends to accommodate the sockets in the light fixture. Only two of the four pins need to be connected but there are two different styles that use different pins.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-g13-t8-led-tube-3600lm-24w-1778mm-6-/990ha
This is the tube.

Does only one end of the LED tube need to be connected i.e 21/22 or 23/24 in the photo in post #1 or is it connect up 21 & 24 or 22 & 23. I.e one input one end and one the other?

I assume the LED tube has an inbuilt transformer?
I have wired up LED Flexi strips in my kitchen, where the controller for colour phases, transformer and strips were all separate.

I agree while fitting replacement is safest way, but comes with the issue of it seems all 6ft LED complete fittings come with an end power feed, not a middle feed, so will involve some junctioning of cables to install to existing wiring, or involve making another a hole in shed ceiling

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-g13-t8-led-tube-3600lm-24w-1778mm-6-/990ha
This is the tube.

Does only one end of the LED tube need to be connected i.e 21/22 or 23/24 in the photo in post #1 or is it connect up 21 & 24 or 22 & 23. I.e one input one end and one the other?

I assume the LED tube has an inbuilt transformer?
I have wired up LED Flexi strips in my kitchen, where the controller for colour phases, transformer and strips were all separate.

I agree while fitting replacement is safest way, but comes with the issue of it seems all 6ft LED complete fittings come with an end power feed, not a middle feed, so will involve some junctioning of cables to install to existing wiring, or involve making another a hole in shed ceiling

Differing opinions, I would prefer to cut a large 100 mm hole make Joint on the cable with Wago connection and fit new led battens complete. You can then easily refit disc you cutout and apply filler, no signs of modification.

Top Bottom