LED headlamps - what's your view as a user?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
At the weekend I drove from York back to the Lake District at night and via the A1M and A66 etc.

Weather was foul - rain and fog especially on the, mainly poorly lit and cateye defficient, A66.

First reasonable length drive using LED headlamps.

I found them very good at illuminating the road but had the sense that something was missing from my field of view.

Post-trip, I had a bit of a think about this and first thoughts was it was down to my ageing eyes.

And then I realised it was more to do with the ultra-sharp cut-off between the illuminated area and the unilluminated area. There is a razor-sharp contrast.

With halogens there was a sort of roll-off transition that in retrospect was oddly reassuring - although I cannot think as to why it would be.

I like the clear view they give and I guess I am sold on LED's but there is a slight niggle in my mind.

Jody

Stubborn git
Greater contrast which reduces the amount you see beyond the lit area. They have to have a sharp cutoff to stop glare and the light scattering.

Personally, I think LED and Xenon lights are great for the person is said vehicle but a nightmare for others who have to look at them.

CXRAndy

Guru
My pickup I fitted aftermarket headlight assy with dual projectors. I then copied what another fella did, split the unit, fit xenon headlights with high low drivers. I now have ridiculous light output coupled with LED projector lamps in the fenders

figbat

Slippery scientist
I love LED lights, but am fastidious with ensuring correct aim. My wife’s Volvo has matrix lighting with an auto main beam manipulation system that is simply mesmerising to behold.

Jody

Stubborn git
My wife’s Volvo has matrix lighting with an auto main beam manipulation system that is simply mesmerising to behold.

Matrix style LED's are a step in the right direction for other road users. Great technology!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Had them on the last three cars, in two cases with adaptive beam shaping.

Light colour: bad, the yellower light of halogens is better on wet roads

Adaptive beam: waste of time, it just makes the verge very bright. Visibility is nowhere near as good as on traditional full beam.

It's a thumbs down from me.

All of the videos of matrix lighting shows it from the pov of the driver of matrix equipped car. Surely they need to show it from the pov of a driver approaching and the driver with matrix lights in his rear view mirror. Or am I being stupid?

Jody

Stubborn git
On the other hand I can't say I have any problem with LED's in use on other cars with the current technology.

It depends how sensitive your eyes are to light or if you have something like an Astigmatism.

I get more flare from LED and Xenon than I did with Halogen.

I'm half considering some yellow glasses for night driving.

figbat

Slippery scientist
All of the videos of matrix lighting shows it from the pov of the driver of matrix equipped car. Surely they need to show it from the pov of a driver approaching and the driver with matrix lights in his rear view mirror. Or am I being stupid?

With the Volvo the effect is to shape the high beam around the oncoming vehicle, so rather than losing the whole main beam when something is approaching, you only lose the bit that's pointing at the oncomer. This means that you still get to see up the road in your lane, as well as the nearside verge etc. When behind something the main beam is turned off.

Top Bottom