Sturmey Archer Dynohub lighting set LED conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KoffMixtures

No doubt this topic has been covered umpteen times, yet a search reveals nothing.

What I need is a numpty's step by step tutorial, without all the electrickery gobledegook.
A guiding hand required, please.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
No doubt this topic has been covered umpteen times, yet a search reveals nothing.

What I need is a numpty's step by step tutorial, without all the electrickery gobledegook.
A guiding hand required, please.

The best place for that is the Dawes Kingpin FB group there’s a guy there called Melo, has done the conversion many many many times.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unfortunately, I don't do FB, but thanks for trying to help.
Their page is visible.
Screenshot_2023-12-20-22-17-58.png

tyred

Legendary Member
I used Reflectalite parts to upgrade the dynohub lights on my Rudge. It's really just plug and play and the eBay description explains what you need. The only problem might be some Sturmey lambs took a capless push-in bulb and if you have those lights, you'd need to swap them for lights with srew-in bulbs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26427345...ar=563848740121&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This conversion made an enormous difference to the usefulness of the lights. With the original bulbs, they're really just to be seen with lights. Now you could ride unlit roads. There's a strobing effect at low speed unfortunately, but that is the nature of the SA dynohub.

If you're not worried about originality, the SA hub will run something like a Basta Pico 30.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You might need a voltage regulator for the Reflectalite bulbs. They protect themselves above 6V but become quite dim when they do so. The voltage regulator is a zener diode and a big resistor between live and earth. It gets quite warm, showing how much power is wasted when driving just a 1W LED.

tyred

Legendary Member
You do need a regulator and Reflectalite supply it too. Just fits in the wiring between the hub terminal and the rest of the wiring

Top Bottom