Replace Chainrings - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wadey

Regular
I'm about to try and replace my chainrings (FSA 50/34) due to wear and tear. I'm getting chain suck and the teeth are looking like shark teeth.
I've watched a number of youtube videos, but thought I would post here for further advice.

Regards,
Paul

si_c

Guru
Depends on your crankset, usually straight forward enough - loosen the bolts, remove the rings and replace. Some cranks need you to remove them from the frame before doing this.

Not much to it, but here's my two tips.

1) Buy the special chainring bolt holder tool. It is cheap and makes life easy.
2) Don't forget to line up the pin on the side of the large chainring with the crank. It prevents the chain from falling in there and jamming like hell.

Otherwise, just do it. Go for a ride afterwards and drink a beer.

Gunk

Guru
You might find it easier and almost the same price to buy a complete nearly new crankset off eBay rather than mess about changing the rings.

I picked up a brand new 105 5800 Crankset for £65 recently, it had come straight off a brand new bike as they were upgrading.

12boy

Guru
This may be a bit too late, but make sure your chainrings will work with your chain and rear sprocket as 10 speed chains are a bit narrower than 6-7-8 speed chains. I also second the idea of a chain ring nut wrench that can hold the nut while you tighten the bolt. I grease the bolt before screwing it into the nut, so when it needs to come out the steel and Al aren't corroded together. Anti-seize c ompound also works, I've found. Chain rings are much cheaper than crank arms. I know this probably sounds bizarre, but I wax my chains instead of using oil to lube them. The wax does not pickup up grit like an oil based lube and that oily grit is essentially a grinding compound. The chain ring on my Surly Steamroller must have 20 k miles or more and is still not appreciably worn.

12boy

Guru
I prefer my artisanly crafted, genuine pot metal, plastic T-handle Allens I buy at Harbor Freight, an American chain specializing in extremely cheap made in China goods. My Allens cost me $6.00 and that included a little rack thing and different colored handles so it could tell right away what size each was.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I prefer my artisanly crafted, genuine pot metal, plastic T-handle Allens I buy at Harbor Freight, an American chain specializing in extremely cheap made in China goods. My Allens cost me $6.00 and that included a little rack thing and different colored handles so it could tell right away what size each was.

As long as it's a good tight fit in the bolts is what matters most. IMO

Top Bottom