Replace squeaking bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
HI all,
i recently had my bearings replaced on my the Baordmand ADV gravel bike and still, i get a squeaking noise from the seemingly, from the bottom bracket, which is a SRAM GXP, is this a low-quality bracket? If the squeak comes from this source is there an upgrade i can get my LBS to replace?
thanks

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Which bearings were replaced? Is the noise from the BB region identical to what it was before the bearings were replaced?

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
I was told by the lbs that it was the bottom bracket bearings, sorry I am not aware there are others? Yes noise seems similar.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
First thing to do is make sure it is the BB so check the headset first by holding on the front brake and moving and twisting the bars around. Does it happen when only in the saddle? Could be the seat post. Check pedals too.
If you're sure it's the BB remove it, clean everything and put it back together with fresh grease, that's if you want to do it yourself. Alternatively give it back to your LBS to sort.
Don't think there any known probs with GXP which is screw in type unlike some press fits.
Good luck.

Last edited:
There is only one way to test a BB and that's to test it.
Remove the chain. Spin the crank. Listen. If it is too quiet to hear anything, put your ear on the top tube as the crank spins. All shall be revealed.
A BB seldom squeaks, it usually just rumbles like hell but I suppose there are no limits to taking things to the limit.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
GXP don't usually squeak. It will creak if not torqued up properly. I've replaced my 3 year old GXP with a Praxis Works. It's only slightly more expensive, but better made. SRAM GXP's can get a bit rough, hence it's worth stripping them down and removing the bearing seal and packing with grease once every 6 months.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Try changing the pedals out if you have another pair to hand. Also the springs in the cleat clamps, and make sure your cleats aren't galling in the clamps

D

Deleted member 1258

First thing to do is make sure it is the BB so check the headset first by holding on the front brake and moving and twisting the bars around. Does it happen when only in the saddle? Could be the seat post. Check pedals too.
If you're sure it's the BB remove it, clean everything and put it back together with fresh grease, that's if you want to do it yourself. Alternatively give it back to your LBS to sort.
Don't think there any known probs with GXP which is screw in type unlike some press fits.
Good luck.

My Eastway squeaks a lot, but its not the bike itself, its my cycle shoes, so have a good look round for other causes as well.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Hello - so did a 40k and still not sure what it is. Got a club ride on Tuesday so I’ll see if someone can help me trace the source.

Top Bottom