Replaceable Batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
the price you pay for the convenience

The phones are too big and the screens are too small, I prefer a laptop. I can't stand touchscreens either, they're a PITA.

Alex321

Veteran
I meant the life left before they stop the security updates. Of the ten cheapest phones that Which list, four have 2 years, three have 1yr, two have none, and one has 6 months. Of all the phones they've tested, only 30 have four years left, 7 have five years, and 101 have less than 3 years.

OK. But that is a very different thing. And those cheapest phones with 2 years left of security updates will have been on the market for several years, so from launch will have had 5+ years of updates.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
OK. But that is a very different thing. And those cheapest phones with 2 years left of security updates will have been on the market for several years, so from launch will have had 5+ years of updates.

Yebbut the cheapest 5yr phone on Which is £555.

Indeed; however there's still a significant difference between a dedicated, propriatory battery being made available by the manufacturer for five years and being able to fit a standard-size battery that will likely remain available from one of a million sources for decades to come.

I agree; but there is a middle ground here, in that you will be able to fit 3rd party compatible batteries. As you say, they might not be to any existing standard, but at least that doesn't STOP 3rd parties making and selling you one. [The same thing happens with car parts.]

As i have been working partly as an IT Technician for quite afew years - by far the main problem that I see with tech is security

especially with "mobile devices"

Many people use phones and tablets for work but only use a fraction of their capability

for example - I am helping the local FoodBank with any IT problems they have.
They have given be a tablet that is having problems. They only use it to connect to a web site to use an application from the central FoodBank group - so no other apps, just a simple web browser

But, if I am being professional, I should refuse to try to fix it because it is using an old version of Android so there are no security update being developed for it
Therefore it is vulnerable to hackers and other malware

but actually it works just fine - or will when I fiddle with it a bit - and the others are fine as well!

so - to do the job properly we should chuck the tablets into electrical recycling and spend FoodBank money on getting new ones - just because they are old - and not because they don't work anymore

which just seems wrong from an ecological point of view
but I see it a lot when talking to otehr techies that work on schools and the like

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I agree; but there is a middle ground here, in that you will be able to fit 3rd party compatible batteries. As you say, they might not be to any existing standard, but at least that doesn't STOP 3rd parties making and selling you one. [The same thing happens with car parts.]

Indeed; not ideal but as you say middle ground at least :smile:

albion

Guru
All sounds good but manufacturers go out of the way to make batteries harder and harder to replace.
So some of the latest phones and likely tablets, 3rd party replacements cost a lot, probably due to diy repairs being high risk.

Capitalism is part responsible for the increased global warming madness of built in absolscence.

Top Bottom