Replaceable Batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
They ought to apply the same thinking to car replacement bulbs. Our previous car had to take the front grill off, to access the bulbs and one bulb, i just couldn't reach and the car had to go back to the garage.

And what about mobile phones? Haven't seen any yet.

I think that was part of what the legislation was about.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I don't think it's prohibiting custom made batteries, they just have to be replaceable without custom made tools. Non-standard batteries are a bit of a racket like printer ink cartridges.

My 'new' laptop's only four years old, but it's been running off the mains with a knackered battery for half that time. Kosher Samsung batteries for my old laptop were costing me nearly £100 apiece, although the questionable cheapies off Amazon were as little as ~£16 if you don't mind risking a fire.

Indeed; that was my thought about the batteries. The ideal being that stuff would be made to take the most appropriately-sized standardised battery (as you'd replace the AAAs in the telly remote, if I had a telly) however yes - I suspect the batteries will remain propriatory.

As you're probably aware, back in the day laptop batteries were often banks of standard-size cylindrical cells.. now with the quiest to go ever-thinner I think they really are unique to the product in question.

I try to minimise my exposure to such stuff (and tech in general) but I do regrettably have some electronics with built in, not-overtly-replaceable batteries.

You're aware that on many laptops you can cap the max charge to reduce stress on the battery and prolong it's working life..?

figbat

Slippery scientist
The first mobile phone I had that I couldn’t change the battery was an iPhone. All previous ones I could (and sometimes did - in fact one came with a spare battery and external charger so you could carry a charged spare). Of course none of these were waterproof, but then neither were the early iPhones.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Some smartphones do have a replaceable battery notably some LG Nokia and Motorola models so the option is there for those that want that but intention of this EU directive is to cut electrical waste but other things could also help like extending the update life of the device with Apple being the best currently with their phones.
The problem is hardware marches ahead of software so the end of life for the phone is not long after the life of the battery which is usually about 3 years.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
They ought to apply the same thinking to car replacement bulbs.

I suppose the reasoning is that LEDs almost never need replacing.

You're aware that on many laptops you can cap the max charge to reduce stress on the battery and prolong it's working life..?

Yes, so I gather, but if mine has, I don't know where it's to be found. There's nothing in with any of the other battery management stuff.

the end of life for the phone is not long after the life of the battery which is usually about 3 years

One of the many reasons why I haven't got a smartphone.

wafter

Yes, so I gather, but if mine has, I don't know where it's to be found. There's nothing in with any of the other battery management stuff.
I think newer machines might have some option in the BIOS, while otherwise it's not a standard Windows thing.

On the machines I've encountered it's all been managed through propriatory manufactuer software that's intended to stay on top of maintenance (such as updates) and add a bit more functionality. My Thinkpad uses Lenovo Vantage for this purpose, but I think most brands have their own equivalent.

Fair play with the mobile - think how many thousands you've saved over the years by not buying on credit a new piece of £1k-will-be-landfill-in-three-years-tat every time your contract expires..

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You must be one of the very few. But if you use the Internet, post on here and send email you must have a device, laptop tablet or whatever. In which case you're subject to the similar issues. 😊

wafter

You must be one of the very few. But if you use the Internet, post on here and send email you must have a device, laptop tablet or whatever. In which case you're subject to the similar issues. 😊

Most of the questionable tripe I spaff into the meaningless void of the internet daily is done via my desktop - probably cost about as much as a smart phone when new, doesn't have any issues with batteries, discrete components are (within limits) user-replaceable, it can be upgraded, is probably a whole lot easier to recycle than a smart phone and so far has lasted me fifteen years.

I also have a laptop, which granted is inferior to the desktop relative to many of the points above, but is still a lot better than a smart phone.

Also, having no smart phone removes my ability to seek empty reward through fake internet points when I'm outside the house.. which is very welcome since when inside, by default I'm on the PC trawling for short-term stimulation. Like now..

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru

Windows seems to last a bit longer than the figures Which quote for phone operating systems, unless you're willing to fork out for a newly introduced model even 3 years seems a bit optimistic, and the cost of a smartphone is in addition to the laptop, not instead of.

Alex321

Veteran
Windows seems to last a bit longer than the figures Which quote for phone operating systems, unless you're willing to fork out for a newly introduced model even 3 years seems a bit optimistic, and the cost of a smartphone is in addition to the laptop, not instead of.

I don't think 3 years is optimistic for a modern phone. Ten years ago, it would have been very optimistic.

And 10 years ago most mobile phone contracts were one year contracts, now many of them are three year contracts (including the one I am on - currently just over half way through that one).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I guess that's the price you pay for the convenience of having a portable device you can around with you for Internet and calls.

wafter

I don't think 3 years is optimistic for a modern phone. Ten years ago, it would have been very optimistic.

And 10 years ago most mobile phone contracts were one year contracts, now many of them are three year contracts (including the one I am on - currently just over half way through that one).

Considering the energy and resources used to create these devices, plus their limited ability to be recycled, dubious routes to disposal and how long you'd expect to get out of a decent non-timebombed electronic / electrical / mechancal device (especially old stuff) and three years is still pretty sh*t, no?

Indeed; that was my thought about the batteries. The ideal being that stuff would be made to take the most appropriately-sized standardised battery (as you'd replace the AAAs in the telly remote, if I had a telly) however yes - I suspect the batteries will remain propriatory.

They've addressed this, although it's not perfect:
1705074797216.png

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru

I meant the life left before they stop the security updates. Of the ten cheapest phones that Which list, four have 2 years, three have 1yr, two have none, and one has 6 months. Of all the phones they've tested, only 30 have four years left, 7 have five years, and 101 have less than 3 years.

Top Bottom