replaced caged headset bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
And headseat still feels rough, put back everything in the right order,greased any idea folks? also does the top cap just need to be "snug" and no more ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's most likely the bearing races are pitted, so you are not going to get a smooth feel. New headset time I am afraid.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
It's most likely the bearing races are pitted, so you are not going to get a smooth feel. New headset time I am afraid.
Thanks fossy, are the races like big washers? if so one is split and I suspect thats the problem, having said that the split item is plastic and is more like a seal.....:wacko:

lpretro1

The races are the thinbgs holding the bearings. What fossyant is saying is that the cups the bearings sit in can get pitted due to wear, lack of grease etc. Once they are like that it is impossible to get the bearing to move smoothly. So the whole headset needs to be renewed. I think the split plastic thing you are referring to is the little compression ring which holds everything in place when the top cap is tightened to pre-load the bearings. It is split as it expands when it is fully seated.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
The race is the channel in which the bearings sit and run.

Because headset bearings don't actually move very far (unlike bottom bracket bearings), over time the race can become pitted or dimpled which results in a lumpy or notchy movement.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I may be wrong but if you have a split component in the headset then either its bust or you have a sealed bearing headset.

The compression ring binds the steerer to the bearings and I can't see how it can do this with caged bearings and a split.

Can you check the crown race - has it got a concave race (for caged bearings) or an angled face (for sealed bearings)? And do the other races match this?

(I once bought a bike running a caged bearing on an angled race and used it for 6 months before I sussed what was going on!).

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Thanks for input guys, after taking to the LBS upshot was wrong type of bearings !:rolleyes: , now before you label me a divvy, :wacko: there are a handful of caged bearings for 1 1/8 headset, and the old ones were very corroded and so it was difficult to see if my new ones were a perfect match. At least I had the "satisfaction " of putting everything back in right ! Also the with the split seal I decided on getting a whole new headseat for the sake of £15-£20. But its good to give these things a go you never learn other wise !

Top Bottom