Replacement brake inserts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've ways found clarkes very good.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Clarks CPS240 are good although they can wear rims quickly. You can buy just the pad or more cost-effective is a set which have a pair of pads/pad holders and a spare pair of pads.

I've taken a liking to Swissstop pads; expensive but perform well and last a long time. They come as just the pads or a full set.

si_c

Guru
Clarks are a good enough pad - but they are a hard compound so they wear the rim and can be a bit harder to brake with in cold or wet weather.

Those Tektro brake shoes are compatible with Shimano pads - which means you have the option of getting pads from Shimano, Lifeline (Wiggle own brand), Koolstop (get the Salmon pads - they're my overall go-to pad, as with a lot of people) and many more. They will all fit and they will all work, just undo the small stop screw and slide the old pad out and the new pad in.

You will need to adjust the brake cable tension again though as the new pads will be thicker so likely to rub against the rim. Just wind out the barrel adjuster until they just stop rubbing.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Clarks are a good enough pad - but they are a hard compound so they wear the rim and can be a bit harder to brake with in cold or wet weather.

Those Tektro brake shoes are compatible with Shimano pads - which means you have the option of getting pads from Shimano, Lifeline (Wiggle own brand), Koolstop (get the Salmon pads - they're my overall go-to pad, as with a lot of people) and many more. They will all fit and they will all work, just undo the small stop screw and slide the old pad out and the new pad in.

You will need to adjust the brake cable tension again though as the new pads will be thicker so likely to rub against the rim. Just wind out the barrel adjuster until they just stop rubbing.

Thanks very helpful

Ajax Bay

Guru
£10 for a pair of Dura 2 Koolstop Salmons on the front - I seem to get very good endurance from mine. What you put on the rear matters far less.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Swisstop inserts are excellent - have them on all my bikes. They cause much less wear on rims than cheap pads

Top Bottom