Replacement cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
My gravel bike came with a SRAM Rival 11-42T, if I replace it does it have to be like for like or can I use a shimano version? I’ll have to change the chain too.
Many thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Shimano cassette would be a straight replacement. You'll have to change the chain too if it's worn, which it will be if the cassette needs replacing.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
The one thing you can't do is use a cassette with a 10 tooth smallest sprocket as they need a different freehub.
ah ok, thanks. So, I just need to make sure i go for a like for like 11-42T but in Shimano form? The derailleur is also SRAM (RIVAL).

Jenkins

Legendary Member
ah ok, thanks. So, I just need to make sure i go for a like for like 11-42T but in Shimano form? The derailleur is also SRAM (RIVAL).

Yep - Shimano, SRAM, Microsoft or any other manufacturer. I'm guessing it's 11 speed so, if you're not using the 42 tooth cog, you could go for a normal MTB 11-36 cassette. On one of my bikes I run an Apex 1 rear derailleur with an 11-28 cassette.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS the microshift ones are OK - been using one on the commute.

Mike_P

Guru
Re having to change the chain as well.
Best to regularly check the chain and once it shows signs of wear replace it. That way the wear on the cassette will be reduced and the cassette will last longer.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks all. It's 2.5k gravel bike that I use as a poor weather trainer which I've always had issues with jumping gears. I've had 2 mechanics look at it and still they jump under power - uphill usue ally.
Measured the chain, it's definitely stretched.
Wanted to get away from SRAM but maybe I'll try a new SRAM cassette. Have the same cassette on my Tempest with no issues.

Top Bottom