Replacement cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danm89

I need to replace the cranks on my bike as the left one has stripped the pedal threads but the actual pedal is fine. I dont know how , i bought it used everything else on it was spot on but didnt spot it when i bought the bike as it was wedged on. Struggling to find a suitable set of cranks in my budget. I have a diamondback heist 2 with a 1x setup and 175mm crank arms. It is none boost. I was going to reuse the chainring but cant find just a set of cranks that are 175mm that are not square taper or out of budget. I can get a shimano deore m617 crankset cheap, can i just take the rings off and put mine single one on there?
Or should i get a set of square taper arms and a new BB for the same price? If i do this i see that the UN55(is that the right one) comes in different lengths how do i determine which one is correct for my bike to match chain line ect? I know about the shell width but not about the spindle length as its got an external BB fitted at moment.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I imagine you have a Hollowtech bb at the moment so wouldn't be a good idea to go to a square taper. Find a chainset with the same spider as yours and change the ring over?

OP
OP
D

Danm89

The shimano deore m617 has the same bolt spacing but it has 2 rings on. Is it as simple as take them off and put mine on? Or would it badly affect the chainline or anything? and how would i get around that?.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Can you find shorter cranks, I would not be concerned about having to have 175mm cranks, anything 170 or above would be fine.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The chain line shouldn't be an issue as it can't be substantialy different. You should look at some of the chain line issues with some 11 speed set ups.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A repair as suggested by @Sharky would be a good option but if you did decide to get a new Hollowtech crankset the bonus is it comes with bearings which you can use later.

si_c

Guru
I'd just get a dedicated 1x chainset - something like this would work well.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-m7000-slx-chainset-11-speed-95345.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You ideally need another 1x chainset. I have a Deore 2x set of cranks (no chain rings). 1x chainrings will usually be a different BCD (bolt diameter) or direct mount.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Last edited:
Top Bottom