Replacement for my 2015 Defy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's up to the OP to do the sums but I'd guess at a new chainset, BB, Cassette, Cables, Brake blocks, headset, chain, labour coming in at about £400. About £100 of which I'd guess at labour. That's wildly finger in the air, could be a bit more. Say £500.

It would have to be some serious abuse to need a new headset after only 6 years on a road bike.

A complete set of triple chain rings , £90 .
Set of new chainring bolts for a triple £9
A Shimano 10 speed rear cassette for £56 .
A Shimano 10 speed chain for £19
Bottom brackets are around £15
Complete brake cable kits are available £12.50
Complete gear cable kits are available £23
4 Replacement brake blocks are £17

Total just under £250 plus labour if you don’t do it yourself. Gear and brake cables can be done more cheaply if you buy lengths of outer and cut to length as and when required.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the 2015 defy was 11 speed looking at bike list but op can confirm
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/defy-1

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It would have to be some serious abuse to need a new headset after only 6 years on a road bike.

Total just under £250 plus labour if you don’t do it yourself. Gear and brake cables can be done more cheaply if you buy lengths of outer and cut to length as and when required.

And a nice new wheelset with the £750 left over so it's an upgrade

vickster

Legendary Member
Is what it is, should still all be less than 1k though to refresh everyting. If he wants more teeth at the back, may need a new mech, about £60 for a longer cage 11 speed 105

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s where the wolf tooth style links come in at half that price.
Actually the cassette is OOS. Don't know anything about the wolf tooth thingy, I'd just get a new mech, clean up old, and recoup a few quid on fleabay.
An 11-32 is going to be decent on hills with the 50-34 upfront, although 12-30 isn't too bad?

Alex321

Veteran
Bad luck if it is. The only thing extra “speeds“ seem to add is price. 11 speed components are 2 to 3 times the price of 9 speed components
But you can get an 11 speed cassette for under £50, so that is less than the price you quoted for a 10-speed) :smile:
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-...tml?_cid=21_1_-1_9_34_826170_524292382310_pla

And the extra speeds do mean smaller jumps in the middle of the range, so easier to get the right gear for the cadence you want to maintain. Not a vast difference, but it is some.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But you can get an 11 speed cassette for under £50, so that is less than the price you quoted for a 10-speed) :smile:
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-...tml?_cid=21_1_-1_9_34_826170_524292382310_pla

And the extra speeds do mean smaller jumps in the middle of the range, so easier to get the right gear for the cadence you want to maintain. Not a vast difference, but it is some.

and can get 9 speed cassettes for under £25 so still double the money. It’s not usually smaller jumps as the 9 speed is often a triple allowing you to more precisely tune the ratio you want. Doubles are Satan’s spawn with you often wanting to jump between the big and inner ring far too often.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Yup, That's about the same as my estimate, except I just used a finger-in-air rather guesswork than doing sums. Add about £120 for labour (guess - seems reasonable). Contingency for things not thought of first time - maybe one or both tyres is done for, maybe a wheel needs truing. Gives £400-500 budget. If the DIY option is chosen take off the labour and add something for tools, and for replacing things you've broken/realised are the wrong thing/pinged across the garage and lost (delete according to level of mechanical incompetence - I can only speak from experience :smile: )

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually I've just realised that my mate's Defy, the one with the triple, is waaaaaay older than 2015. Cos he bought it second hand in about 2012. So ignore my witterings about triples.

Johnno260

Veteran
Could the issue with upgrades be sourcing components? groupset parts seem to be the hindering factor currently?

I'm not saying don't do it, that would make me a horrific hypocrite considering the upgrades I have thrown at my Merida.

I should check the prices of my old 105 5800 shifters again.

Top Bottom