Replacement handlebar mounted cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My ATC2000 is dying on its bum with terminal button problems. I need a replacement - something that must be handlebar mounted with the minimum of pfaff. I'm not after ultra-high video quality, but I do want something a bit more solid than the ATCs and with better sound, all the better to capture the well-meaning, informed and articulate advice offered by my fellow road users. Cost is secondary a wife receipts will be generated.

I only there was someone on this forum that could help?;)

thomas

the tank engine
I know you said you want an improvement, but I just bought the ATC200 for just over £70. That's about £30 less than what I saw it on sale for at the start of this year.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks all. I had a look at the vholdr on the dcs website and it sounded the chap, but that review isn't exactly glowing, mags. The sticky mount moans aren't relevant to me, but the build quality of the rest of it sounded a little ordinary for the cash and I'd have to cough a few more bob for the handlebar mount.

The ATCs are a fabulous bit of kit for the money, but the unpredictable battery life, iffy buttons and cack sound have let me down a few times recently.

I guess I'll have to start looking at a wired system, but as I don't wear a magic foam hat for commuting, I'll have to be convinced that I can mount the recorder somewhere sensible.

My wired camera isn't mounted on my helmet. It is held by a strap around my head. I think you can buy the straps at dogcam or actioncams.

As you say the review for the vholdr wasn't glowing, but I haven't came across a camera yet that doesn't have a downside, so it is better to know them from the start. That reminds me, I need to do the review for the docam camera...

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I can see the advantages, but I'm not too keen on the idea of a head-mounted cam. All I really want to do is press a couple of buttons and go ride. My head's a funny enough shape to begin with due to too much 'chase the egg' as a kid - strapping a cam to it would probably get me burned as a witch.

You're right about the downsides. I had a look at the POV.1 and a few other wired systems (away from the prying eyes of Mrs Dr Bollo). The cost can get a little strong but the real issue with any of these is where to mount the recorder and possibly a separate camera battery pack on the bike. I'll have a good search around and report back if I find anything.

The wired system works fine for me, as I always have a rucksack on which I keep the recorder (and archos 405) in. The wires are all inside the rucksack and with the aid of a small hole I added to the inside of the bag, it all has it's place and works well. It certainly isn't a point and shoot system, though. Before I set off I..

1. Put the camera/camera strap on my head.
  2. Switch on the Archos
  3. Plug the Archos (using the travel adapter) into the helmet camera/microphone connector.
  4. Turn on the power pack for the helmet camera
  5. Select record function on the Archos
  6. Check the alignment of the camera on the archos screen.
  7. Set it to record and lock the keys
  8. Put Archos in the rucksack
  9. Put on rucksack and go
It sounds like a lot but I reckon it takes me a minute and a half max. A footer, but not a huge one.....

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I use a pannier rather than a rucksack, especially with a laptop and associated crap that I seem to lug around for fun. I'm nervous of having part of the kit on me (i.e. in a pocket or rucksack) and part on the bike because sooner or later I'll forget and do some cable snapping damage.

The most promising route I'm looking at is to attach a small bag to the top tube to store all the camera stuff in. I think I could cope with that, especially if I could mount a switch on the handlebars to do the basic off and on functions.

It makes you realise how innovative the ATCs are for the cash.

Thanks for the help, Big M.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just ordered a DV-500 with the 5hr dual recorder/camera battery gizmo with a dogcam 520. Used the CC discount - thanks CC!

I'll report back in due course.

Good stuff! You should get some good footage with that! Two cameras? One facing forwards and one backwards! That should make for interesting viewing!

I should point out that I negotiated the discount with dogcamsport.

So I look forward to my Christmas thank you gift! :rolleyes::smile:

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
magnatom said:
I should point out that I negotiated the discount with dogcamsport.

So I look forward to my Christmas thank you gift! :wacko::blush:

Pair of socks in the post.

sk0197.jpg

Top Bottom