Replacement rear mech question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

I need to replace my rear mech quite soon I think, the plastic that holds the cable bracket in place is coming away.

Currently has an Acera mech (Hybrid bike), with 7 speed cassette.

Will a Deore RD-M591SGSL be ok for this or is it 8 and 9 speed only?

Failing that is the Alivio the best option for 7 speed?

Thanks

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
All current Shimano rear mechs can be used to replace what you have.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
He's right, but if you go 8 speed or above, you'll end up replacing the cassette, chain and shifters.

If you only want to replace the derailleur then the Alivio is compatible with 7 speed cassettes and does a decent job. Deore works with 8 & 9 speeds.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks guys

Alivio it is then, as it needs to fit with what is fitted already. Have just replaced the chain and cassette and cables. 7 speed is enough for me as I don't use the full range anyway. I just didn't want to get another Acera one, wanted to get a half decent one up to a fair price point. Alivio is about twenty odd quid and deore was only an extra tenner.

Are the jockey wheels any good on the Alivio? When I stripped and greased the Acera mech the jockey wheel hubs didn't seem too clever, my bike manual says there some available with bearings instead of the bushings, would these only be supplied with higher end stuff?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Not sure - never used Acera.

Only used the STX RC (a sort of Deore LX from the late 90s). Currently have an Alivio on the hybrid commuter and the pulleys works well. The Alivio jockey wheels are held on by allen key bushings. Seem quite well made.

Like any derailleur set up you need to clean and lube and maybe fine tune the barrel every so often, but you sound like you know that already.

The Alivio & Deore are good workhorses. You can't go wrong with them on a commuter.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If you are trying different models the only thing that can potentially catch you out is teeth capacity. You can check that here.

If you are buying via mail order you might get them cheaper than what you have indicated from here.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks Moodyman - feel happier with a recommendation.

The bike is second hand - and have gradually been replacing bits since purchase to bring it up to scratch.

I don't think it saw much servicing before, you wouldn't believe the crap I had to clean out of the old jocky wheels and the mech, literaly caked in it, and now I've spotted the damage I'll be glad to replace it as I think the return spring is slow also.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

RecordAceFromNew said:
If you are trying different models the only thing that can potentially catch you out is teeth capacity. You can check that here.

If you are buying via mail order you might get them cheaper than what you have indicated from here.

I think I'm ok as the new cassette is 28-11 (I think)

Thanks for the link - trouble is I'm limited to Amazon market place (birthday vouchers :smile: ) and a bit of a premium on that route I guess.

Top Bottom