Replacement rear wheel help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

No.1

Hi guys,

recently took up road biking during lockdown 1, yes I know one of many. However have really caught the bug and was regularly doing well over 100 miles a week.

anyway with the rubbish weather recently I have purchased a turbo trainer to use in the garage, however I want to put a indoor trainer tyre on the bike however on the odd chance that we have some sunny days I’d like to easily be able to swap the rear wheel for my normal road tyre just by swapping the rear wheel.

I can’t for the life of me find a replacement wheel, and to be honest I don’t know for the life of me What I’m looking for with the different gearing and sizes etc... some direction would be greatly appreciated.

anyway, my bike details are as follows.

carrera zelos (yes I know not the best bike, but managed to find it cheap and was perfect for the summer to see if I enjoyed biking again,which I did. Plan is to upgrade the bike ready for next summer.

tyres are 700x25c, quick release, with a 7speed tourney shimano gears.

any advise and guidance would be great, and if someone has something that would fit and work... doesn’t need to look pretty, I have cash waiting.

thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
You don’t need a trainer tyre on a trainer. However, if the outdoor cycling is just going to be occasional, get one and then when you go out just put a normal tyre on, it’ll only take 10 minutes and be much cheaper than a new rear wheel and new cassette, you may need to also change the chain and the other cassette if it’s worn.
However, if you do want a new rear wheel, you just need to find one that will take a 7 speed cassette and get a new 7 speed cassette. Should be plenty of both of eBay 👍

OP
OP
N

No.1

You don’t need a trainer tyre on a trainer. However, if the outdoor cycling is just going to be occasional, get one and then when you go out just put a normal tyre on, it’ll only take 10 minutes and be much cheaper than a new rear wheel and new cassette, you may need to also change the chain and the other cassette if it’s worn.
However, if you do want a new rear wheel, you just need to find one that will take a 7 speed cassette and get a new 7 speed cassette. Should be plenty of both of eBay 👍
Reason for going for a trainer tyre on the trainer is that I keep getting rear punctures. never had any on the road oddly. However thanks for you reply tbh I think you might be right, it’s a quick job to change a tyre

Top Bottom