Replacement rim choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was different model rims but the chaps at Spa told me the Exal rims were quite good and lighter than the Ryde ones I ordered. Stuck with the Ryde but tbh, the Exal ones probably would have been the better choice.
Never known Spa to sell rubbish.

Ocd. My bike has to be spot on with matching parts. Even the bolts have to match :blush:
i can vouch for this dear cyclechat - i believe i acquired an etrex from you because it no longer matched your bike.

For a while one of my builds had one hydraulic rim brake and one V brake - now both are Vs but for functional reasons - had trouble finding a pressure leak problem.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In addition to the wisdom above it might be worth getting on the phone (or email) to Spa. I find them very responsive. They might have additional comments about suitability. In fact if you get the "right" person you might get a long and rather tedious utterly fascinating lecture on rims.

Yes, you mention any requirement/opinion to Spa at your peril.

Fine if you say the 'right' thing, but be prepared to be told your fortune if you don't.

Tempting to ring them up and shout 'black spokes are stronger than silver ones' and put the phone down.

I generally prefer silver spokes for the functional reason that it makes it easier to spot faults. At least for me. ditto with rims.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i sometimes wonder if cycling is a refuge for a higher than the population average of OCD folks.
It took me a while to realise why people were staring in horror... :whistle:

(PS No, it wasn't the fact that my saddle tilts down, or that I use mountain bike style SPDs on a road bike! :okay:)

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Took me a while.
Red colour on front tyre surface?
Or black on rear?
Yes - mismatched tyres. I wasn't going to chuck away the front red one just because I wore the rear one out first.

I decided that red tyres didn't look as good as black so I switched back to buying normal tyres after wearing out the first red one.

Yes - mismatched tyres. I wasn't going to chuck away the front red one just because I wore the rear one out first.

I decided that red tyres didn't look as good as black so I switched back to buying normal tyres after wearing out the first red one.
fine by me if it saves money.
I don't like coloured tyres though - in themselves they are I think well onto the anal scale.
And keen as I am to save money by buying odd coloured stuff I don't think I would have stooped to buying the brown vittorias planet X once had at a super cheap price.
Takes anal into a whole realm of its own.

Top Bottom