Replacement rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I am planning a LEJOG next year and will be camping & unsupported. I would like to use my vintage Hugh Porter for the trip but it needs new rims. I will need the strength of double walls but these are almost impossible to find for 27 inch rims so I was wondering if the bike would run with 700c rims. The bike is fitted with Weinmann Vanquer centre pull brakes and the blocks are set midway in the fitting slot and I would like to know if there will be enough room for adjustment. can anyone advise please. In addition, can anyone recommend a wheel builder within a reasonable distance of Whitby, N Yorks.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Perhaps have a chat with the wheelbuilder at Spa?

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't speak for taximans specific bike but when I fitted 700c wheels to my 27 inch bike, i had to fit long drop brakes...a mix of Alhonga and Tektro, and I was bitterly disappointed with the braking performance. I tried different pads (105 I think) but not much if any better. I always thought the longer arms obviously flexed more, thus giving a drop in performance, so expect to experiment or do some home work of pads or different caliper.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I don't know offhand what the OLN measurment is dave r but yes it is the narrower size. As for the brakes gbb, I was rather hoping that I would be able to use my existing set but perhaps not. I don't think it would be a good idea to reduce the efficiency of the brakes on a fully loaded bike careering downhill at goodness knows what speed with me wondering what the hell I was doing there.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Dia Compe GC700 brakes are a lot better than your Weinmanns and have 70mm reach. Measure the current reach (brake bolt to centre of pad), add 4mm and see if you're under 70mm. Your Weinmanns may cope with the extra 4mm if you don't want to spring £100 on a pair of GC700s, but they won't be as stiff.

If the reach is over 70mm, there are Dia-Compe 750 centrepulls (about as good as the Weinmanns) but, beyond that, you need to look at drop bolts.

Generally I like centrepulls for extreme reach: they go round mudguards easily and don't flex as much as sidepulls or dual-pivots. They might have a theoretically suboptimal change in mechanical advantage through their travel, but so do cantilevers

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have two comments, having contemplated completing an end-to-end on a similar bike.
I suspect that your rear OLN will be 126mm. The OP is planning on using the current hubs anyway so it's not an issue. The OP will probably be limited to a 6 speed freewheel but choose a 14-28 and that will see them with a reasonable range of gears (provided they change the chainset for a (square taper) touring double 48-34 or a triple. (Spa Cycles is the economic and quality source for either).
I doubt the Weinmanns have a long enough drop for 700c wheels/rims. Whatever the OP goes for (and @gbb has given advice), they'd be well advised to invest in an excellent set of blocks rather than sticking with the 'originals'. That stopping power for a loaded tourer will be really appreciated.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I managed to find a wheel fitted with a 700 rim to fit my bike and find there is sufficient reach for the brakes (just), so hopefully, problem solved. I will upgrade the brake block though as Ajax Bay suggests.
Thanks for your advice guys, very much appreciated.

Keep us posted how the lejog goes and great idea doing it on a retro bike

Top Bottom