Replacement saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjgraham86

Über Member
Hi

I've just retuned from 2 days' cycling in Outer Hebrides (I've posted in Touring forum with a quick summary) and my only complaint would be that my saddle is just a bit too hard core for me. I did 82 miles on day one and my rear was sore from fairly early on (and that was with a gel cover borrowed from my hybrid!).

The saddle is the standard white one which came with the bike (Raleigh Carbon Comp - now called something else in 2009 catalogue) and I reckon it's for out and out racing, not day long tours.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement which will give a bit more comfort but without adding too much weight or looking silly on a carbon road bike ??!!

Cheers

Peter

Bigtwin

Unless you do it a lot, 82 miles in a day is going to be a sore ass maker no matter what, short of an arm chair.

Usual advice applies - try a bunch, or get to a shop who will have a good look at your arse for you, and suggest something. And mebbe address the saddle issue too.

DaveP

Not long got back from riding London to Genève (9 days all totaled with 2 blocks of four consecutive days in the saddle) on a Specialized Toupé Gel.

Must say that I was astounded that parts still worked and that my arse was in tact!

Mind you I did have a very comfy pair of Assos shorts between me and the perch!

OP
OP
P

pjgraham86

Über Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys - and I'll try not to be arrested for public indecency in the process of getting a saddle to suit my a*se LOL !!

Peter

Randochap

Senior hunter
Everyone's ar$e is different, but for my money, it's hard to beat a Brooks. I own a Pro, which I've had for 32 years and a B-17 mounted on my Bleriot for 19 months now.

I've put several 200km days and a 300km day in on it without serious damage.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
The two most comfy saddles I have found are the Spesh Toupe and the Brooks B17 in no particular order. The Brooks was great from the off, but I understand some have a breaking-in period.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like the Arione, although the profile of it is very flat, so it may not suit you (potentially you could end up with a fair bit of soft tissue pressure).

Top Bottom