Replacement Shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Shimano 6700/6703 shifter has cables under the bar tape - the ones you've listed will have it out of the side.

You can use a Shimano 105 (5703) replacement which would shift exactly the same.

Reactions: pda

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm struggling to find a replacement. Will the other Shimano triple shifters work?
Yes but NOT 4700 Tiagra 10 spd, as that has 11 speed pull ratios for the RH shifter.

5700 105 will be fine

I've had the odd mini rant re this on other threads, when your integrated shifter goes, you are either resorting to finding and identical used one that looks OK on ebay to match the unbroken one, or forking out for a new pair of the latest version and for 3x10 that is going to be very tricky as its either 11 spd / incompatible 10spd Tiagra (but you could by a Tiagra 4700 rear mech and everything else will work) or 8/9 from the lower shimano groupsets.

Microshift 10spd has same pull ratio as 6700, and you can find from the odd supplier new on Ebay - but not sure whether it comes in a triple or not

the one you listed on ebay appear to be a cheap chinese copy of Microshift ones.

si_c

Guru
I'd go with whatever you can find - if ebay has a replacement pair get that, components are difficult to come by at present. Any shimano 10 speed system other than Tiagra 4700 will work as @T4tomo and others have said.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes, as in it will work with the front derailleur, but the shifter is slightly different shaped from the 6700 series one you have on the right, so may feel odd. 5700 series is 9 speed, but that doesn't matter if you just get LH only and live with mismatched levers, but obs no good if you buy a full pair a

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes, as in it will work with the front derailleur, but the shifter is slightly different shaped from the 6700 series one you have on the right, so may feel odd. 5700 series is 9 speed, but that doesn't matter if you just get LH only and live with mismatched levers, but obs no good if you buy a full pair a
it also splits the gear out of the side, rather than coming out under the bar tape, so will really mismatch with the other side.

vickster

Legendary Member
You could try a wanted ad in the Classifieds, you never know

Spa have new 105 5703 for £235 if you want new and matching
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s108p1482/SHIMANO-105-STI-10spd-Triple-ST-5703

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've bought the ones on ebay that you linked.

Cheers
fitting tips:
The fixing brackets are identical, so rather than having to remove all the bar tape (you will probably need to take off the top run to the shifter) you can attach the new levers to the old brackets - which also helps keep them in the same place. To that end you can mark with sharpie where they are on the handlebar in case they slip in the fitting process. Although you might want to redo with new bar-tape anyway if you are a tart like me.

Don't be tempted to re-use the old inner cable, much easier to thread new ones down, with a bit of lube on them. and make sure the new levers are fully clicked back to what would be small / small were they attached before you start, otherwise its impossible to find the hole for the gear cable.

Top Bottom