Replacement wooden window frames and units.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We have had all the windows here replaced with as-near-as-possible copies of the original sashes, but with double-glazed units. Our man (Google Honiton Joinery) made the frames of softwood and the sills of hardwood. We had lengthy discussions about what exact kind of wood to use (but this was 5 years ago and I can't remember the details). They're just about due for a first repaint.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I took your location and had a google . Looked at a few websites and found someone that i dont think will give you sales platter .
No connection but from the website i think they know their stuff .
http://www.altyjoinery.co.uk/
Thanks for all the replies! They've given me a lot to think about. Especially @Cuchilo you went beyond the call of duty. Mind you, it'll teach me to update my location as I've moved, :smile: , sorry!

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Oak is likely to e very expensive. I would go for a softwood such as Douglas fir which is much cheaper, looks very good and coat it with linseed oil. Wood will rot no matter what it is if water isn't allowed to drain away or the joints aren't sealed.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Doug fir is not far off the price of oak and although regarded as the best softwood it suffers with modern day drying with large sap pockets .
I bought douglas fir , southern yellow pine and unsorted redwood once and did a workshop test on them . Both doug fir and southern yellow had issues . I got the best results from southern yellow but it suffers from soft growth rings so when sanding the finish joinery you get a wave effect across the grain .

Zimbob

Über Member
Gotta concur with @Cuchilo UnSorted Redwood is very good, Sapele is a good option for hardwood, and relatively inexpensive compared to the likes of Oak and Iroko...

It's worth speccing aluminium Drips, and Cills, as these are always the first part to rot too...

Top Bottom