Replacement wooden window frames and units.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm going to replace several wooden window frames and the double glazed units. Anyone any idea what is best for the frames? So far quotes have been for "engineered redwood", "accoya" and "hardwood". I don't want UPVC.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No idea what's best, but a previous home had some of supposedly-sustainable cumaru (aka tonka wood or Brazilian teak) and they seemed to last OK for the three years we were there. I think they need retreating every 3-8 years, but I think that's similar for most wood frames.

If it's any help, I made a set of garden furniture ftom Iroko, 30 years ago.

Sits outside all year round (covered in winter) , treated annually with Danish Oil, still going strong.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Accoya is a modified wood, and very good for external joinery. It will take a paint finish.
For me, oak is a great choice for windows, if you get a decent manufacturer, or dip deeper into your pockets and get custom-made. Jeld-Wen gear was recommended to me by an architect friend

Lee-M

Being in the industry and regularly making front doors from Accoya I would definitely go for this . It isn't a wood to stain but gives a very smooth finish if painted or sprayed. It is a trade marked timber and has an out of the ground non rot guarantee of 50 years . It is dried to within an inch of it's life so is very stable and bearly moves.
Have a read up here.
https://www.accoya.com/

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We had three large box sash windows made thirty years ago to replace the 1880 originals. The joiners used douglas fir. They did a brilliant job and they are as good as new after all that time They get painted every once in a while. Whatever you decide, use people with a solid reputation. There are some absolute spivs out there.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thanks Milkfloat .
My take on things .
Pretty much all joinery in this country for the last few hundred years + has been made from redwood and everywhere you look it is still there doing its job .
Engineered wood is just timber traders trying to get the most out of a fast grown tree / the rubbish they cant sell . I used it once for some doors and the whole batch turned up warped .
Accoya has been pushed by the timber traders for about 8 maybe 10 years now as the new thing :laugh: It lasts 50 years they say but it wasnt used 50 years ago so i can only guess it doesn't last that long .
Iroko . Nice stuff , poor mans teak . It has an oily touch and thats what you want for durability .
Oak . King of woods .
Both of these you would want to stain and not paint .
Sapele . I use this for exterior cills if i'm asked for hardwood and also my choise if hardwood painted windows are asked for . Meranti and luan (sp) are from the same family but not as durable .
Jeldwin windows . shoot ! Mass produced storm proof joinery that relies on glue to hold the joints together and has channels directing the water to the joints :wacko:
Personally i make my stuff from unsorted redwood . Its kind of worked for a very long time so why change it :okay:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm going to replace several wooden window frames and the double glazed units. Anyone any idea what is best for the frames? So far quotes have been for "engineered redwood", "accoya" and "hardwood". I don't want UPVC.
I took your location and had a google . Looked at a few websites and found someone that i dont think will give you sales platter .
No connection but from the website i think they know their stuff .
http://www.altyjoinery.co.uk/

Top Bottom