Replacing 3T spindle with sealed bb-what size will work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RationalVelo

I went to regrease and clean out the bb on a Univega Sportour. Lots of pitting on the spindle and bearings, and some rust in the bb shell. After cleaning out the shell, I'd like to replace the cup and cone with a cartridge. The spindle is a 3T, and Sheldon Brown recommends replacing it with a 130mm cartridge. Problem is, I can't find one. I have Sugino VT Cranks, 52/42t. Are there more readily available cartridges that would fit without messing up my chainline?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
By 3T i assume you mean square taper. A Shimano UN55 should be fine. Make sure you get the correct thread.
You need to check the spindle length and bb shell width on the frame.
You'll need a removal tool for the cranks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RationalVelo

Spindle:125 mm
Shell: 68 mm

According to Sheldon Brown's BB size page, I should get a 130 mm cartridge. AFAIK, the UN55 only goes to a 127mm. My question is this: will a shorter than 130mm cartridge fit my 52/42t Sugino VT crankset?

OP
OP
R

RationalVelo

It's asymmetrical; the drive side of the spindle is longer, and if I'm not mistaken, most sealed bb cartridges are symmetrical.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don't "know" the answer but replacing with a 127mm UN55 will shift the crankset end of the OP's chainline ONLY 1.5mm inwards. I doubt this will cause interference with the chainstay nor affect the operation: after all that's less than a third of the distance between two rear sprockets (5.5mm for the 6-speed freewheel).
HTH

Paste from the Sheldon Brown site:

spindle.jpg

Size Code
Shell Width
D Length
Overall

A Length Left End
B Length Middle
C Length Right End
Symmetrical Equivalent

3S 68 121.5 32 52 37.5 127