Replacing an old hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjgraham86

Über Member
Time has come to replace my 15 year old Diamondback Allure hybrid. I use it for cycle track stuff and the occasional long charity challenge type ride on poorer than average roads mainly, alternating with my (much newer) Raleigh Carbon Comp road bike on the smooth stuff.

You must all be fed up with "what new bike" threads as it's all down to personal taste but I'd appreciate any ideas as to what I might include on my shopping list. I'd like a fair turn of speed and wheel size similar to the DB (28") - light-ish would be good too.

Thanks

P

OP
OP
P

pjgraham86

Über Member
Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks

P

OP
OP
P

pjgraham86

Über Member
A bit more info from me would have been good (!!) for starters the wheel size I'm looking for would be 700c - my DB is currently on 700 x 35c so I reckon 700x32c would be about right.

Price wise I'm looking at between £750 and £850. I have to confess at this point that I have a friend who owns a bike shop but it sells exclusively Raleigh (and therefore Diamondback too). He will give me a good discount so it makes sense to buy from him if I can find the right bike.

I like the looks and spec of the Corratec Shape Pro Sports Trekking (what a mouthful!) and he has also suggested that I look at the Raleigh SF 3.0 That is a nice bike but the tyres are only 23/25 (Continental Ultra race) which suggests to me that this bike is not suited to paths but is really a road bike with flat bars.

I also looked at a Cannondale Bad Boy 700 2009 which has 28c tyres which again look a bit narrow to me for my needs.

I hope this gives a bit more of a feel as to what I'm looking for. Any suggestions (or comment/experiences of the Raleigh/Corratec) welcome.

Cheers

p

Llama

Veteran
TBH at £700 - £800 your well above Raleigh IMHO
other people here will be able to give you a long list of buys - on one kaffenback comes to mind
Are you looking for a road bike/audax or cross bike?

OP
OP
P

pjgraham86

Über Member
Thanks Llama.

I already have a carbon road bike so really looking for a flat bar not too dissimilar to the Diamondback but lighter. I'm not sure what category it would fall into but the bulk of my rides will be on city roads for commuting and on cycle paths at weekends (saving the roadie for the smooth stuff).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
PJ,
After using an old Mongoose mountain bike for years I promised myself a new bike to do the C2C in June- I bought a Giant CRS1 hybrid back in April to run it in and love it. Though there may be better bikes out there [and I'm sure people will soon react]- for £700-750 you could get the CRS0 which has an improved spec. Just a thought!
Chris

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Spesh Sirrus always seems to be well rated .... though it might be to cheap for you ;)

gbs

Guru
I bought sept 08 and am happy with a Marin Sausilito hybrid 20.5" frame, suits me (6'2") and anyone plus or minus 3" or so tall. I want to buy a winter road bike so I am prepared to sell. All up cost new was I think £750 - will sell at 50% discount.

Top Bottom