Replacing Bottom Bracket - grease threads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

When replacing the BB cups do you lightly grease the threads so they don’t fuse with the frame or is this not advisable as they may work loose? I noticed a small amount of grey corrosion when I dismantled which made unscrewing dodgy at first.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Light grease? I slather them!

ChrisKH

Guru
I read somewhere they should be done using anti-lock grease. I had real problems getting my last one off - would have been impossible without the Park BB tool - so I think that grease is advisable but will depend on what type of BB you have.

jonstokes

Give em a good coating. On an MTB this is the part of the bike most exposed to trail crap, dirt and debris. I'm a bit heavy handed with grease in general, my car is held together with copper slip! I can't see any reason why you wouldn't grease em up however. I've never had a cup work loose so why wouldn't you grease them up?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The only time I might think about not using grease is on an Italian threaded bottom bracket in a slightly worn frame when some flavour of loctite is preferable.

But for every other type, use grease and lots of it!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The only case I can think of for not doing so is the Shimano square taper BBs with the plastic cup on the non drive side - shimano say not to grease that side.

Otherwise, grease, and lots of it. Seized BB cups are no fun at all.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
John the Monkey said:
The only case I can think of for not doing so is the Shimano square taper BBs with the plastic cup on the non drive side - shimano say not to grease that side.

Really? Mine get the slippery treatment too. I guess I'm more concerned about protecting the frame threads from corrosion than the plastic cup.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
As others have said ... grease 'em up good! Use the really thick stuff.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Landslide said:
Really? Mine get the slippery treatment too. I guess I'm more concerned about protecting the frame threads from corrosion than the plastic cup.

The instructions say pretty clearly not to - has it caused any deterioration on your BB cups? If not, I'm tempted to grease the plastic cup on my UN-54 BB.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
John the Monkey said:
The instructions say pretty clearly not to - has it caused any deterioration on your BB cups? If not, I'm tempted to grease the plastic cup on my UN-54 BB.

Never noticed any deterioration. Thats with both lithium- and teflon-based greases.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Landslide said:
Never noticed any deterioration. Thats with both lithium- and teflon-based greases.
Excellent, thanks - I reckon I'll grease the non drive side cup on the LHT, in that case. I'm paranoid about the effects of moisture on the steel frame.

Top Bottom