Replacing bottom bracket on my Giant Defy 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

ColinC

I've got the exact same bike as you and my BB started creaking and I could feel the bearings weren't right. I was told by my bike shop (Really good Giant suppliers in Clapham) that I could only replace my BB with the mega Exo (which I got after calling various local bike shops). I was also looking at other BB's, as the reviews and my own experience of it (mega Exo) wasn't that good. I had only completed about 6000 miles all in all weathers.

One bit of advice I was given was that the pressure washers that are used for cleaning the bike can push the grease in the bottom bracket out, which leads to further wear.

- Have you tried opening it up (you need the tools) and tried cleaning and re-greasing it? If not a new one is likely to set you back £40-50.

I'm a little bit skeptical about the guys in Clapham who told you that you'd have to replace with another MegaExo. I really want to go for something different, and based on the dimensions of my BB, I reckon I should be able to replace it with another UK standard BB?

Or is it that I need to replace the whole chainset along with the BB in order to use a different one?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I would replace the whole chainset.

Dmcd33

I'm a little bit skeptical about the guys in Clapham who told you that you'd have to replace with another MegaExo. I really want to go for something different, and based on the dimensions of my BB, I reckon I should be able to replace it with another UK standard BB?

Or is it that I need to replace the whole chainset along with the BB in order to use a different one?

It should be possible, but from experience, once you open it up, all you need is one slightly differeing dimension or size and the thing won't fit a snuggly as you would like.

Please let me know if it works though, as I want to upgrade my BB next time round (which wont be too long considering the last one went so soon) ;)

OP
OP
C

ColinC

So it sounds like replacing the BB on it's own is risky, and I'm advised to replace the whole chainset.

Does anyone have any link on chainreactions/wiggle to a whole chainset package that would work for my bike?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Depends what you want and budget, but essentially if you want shimano dura-ace bottom bracket shells then you can purchase them, but you'll need a shimano hollowtech2 compatible chainset, so tiagra, 105, ultegra etc..

boydj

Legendary Member
So it sounds like replacing the BB on it's own is risky, and I'm advised to replace the whole chainset.

Does anyone have any link on chainreactions/wiggle to a whole chainset package that would work for my bike?
No reason why a knackered bb should need a whole chainset replacement. Google the megaexo bb and find the cheapest supplier. Unless you can afford the extra couple of hundred pounds for a chainset?

Top Bottom