Replacing brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Using the type that slide out, i've undone the screw that holds them in place, but they won't slide out ;)

Any ideas what i can do?

Campag jobbies? They fit pretty firmly. I used hot water screwdriver to lever the first few millimetres then added more welly.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Shimano..

I'll give it another go.. i think i may have to release some cable tension to get a better angle at it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Shimano?

What you can do is throw them away and get yourself some of these. Much better in the dry, incomparably better in the wet. (They're usually about £7 a pair too, so these are a real bargain.)

buddha

Veteran
I've the same brakes.
As they had worn quite a bit there wasn't enough block left to push out with a screwdriver. In the end I removed one by screwing a wood screw into the (rear-facing) end and pulling on the screw with mole grips. The other wouldn't come out that way so I had to, carefully, drill out the remaining block. Twas a pig of a job!

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Did it, had to remove the whole brake block, and then i was able to slide out the rubber pad. Not enough frame clearence to do it without removing the whole block.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Excellent. Well done. Now chuck 'em out & get yourself some Aztecs. ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
take the little bolt out too. they are there for numpties who don't put the pad in correctly, and when they corrode in place and the hex head strips, mean you have to bin the whole holder.

this advice came from a decent lbs run by a racing pro.

Tynan

Veteran
no screw? blimey, never occured to me, makes sense

and peple change the pads on the bike?

I've just done with the cartridge types after getting the hump with wearing a set down in not more than a month (rims were a bit buggered), swtiched over to a chunkier one piece sort, still brand name, ultegra I think, working just fine

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Tynan said:
I've just done with the cartridge types after getting the hump with wearing a set down in not more than a month (rims were a bit buggered), swtiched over to a chunkier one piece sort, still brand name, ultegra I think, working just fine

Got a link? i can see this set wearing down quickly as well if the weather continues.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Tynan said:
no screw? blimey, never occured to me, makes sense

and peple change the pads on the bike?

I've headed the other way on my commuter. Removed the blocks and replaced them with cartridge types. I was burning through blocks and thought I'd give the swisstop cartridges a go. My to work commute is mainly down hill and in heavy traffic so plenty of braking to avoid the crazies.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Take the cassette out of the brake and hold it in place in a vice.
Use a small flat head screwdriver and a hammer to drift the block out of the cassette.

Replace with Kool stop pads, and re-install in the caliper.

Jobs a good-un :angry:

thanos

for a road bike with dual pivot brakes, ive seen the recommendations for kool stops (i assume my link is correct). however im a bit perplexed on the cartridge 'holder' bit. Do i need something as pricey as this?

or are aztecs good enough?

Top Bottom