Replacing forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HOU5EY

So I've got a hybrid claud butler urban 300 from 2010, I'm looking to replace the front forks as I'm hoping to reduce some of the weight and I've heard that suspension forks are often a waste of time. I know the forks that it comes with are RST Sofi ML7-T8. Other than checking for the correct wheel size and being able to take v brakes Can anyone tell me what I would need to check before buying some replacements? Thanks

lpretro1

If you currently have suspension fork on there and you want a rigid fork then you can't just fit a standard fork or the front end will drop significantly and steering will be problematic. You need to get one which corrects for the 'difference'. They can be hard to find and not cheap. You need to make sure of the length (700c or 26") and also the size of headset (1" or 1 1/8th" and threaded or unthreaded type). TBH given the age of the bike I wouldn't be bothering as you won't save much weight and it will be costly.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you like your bike and intend to keep it, then I don't see a problem with upgrading it. I bought a set of rigid carbon forks for my 8 year old MTB from carboncycles, and I am very happy with the result. You are right regarding budget suspension forks which are generally useless and heavy.

Not sure what your budget is, but you should be able to find something on the above linked site.

You will need a new fork crown race of the correct type to be compatible with your headset. You will also need a pipe cutter to cut your new steerer tube to size.

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

I've just entered my first coast to Coast in May and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to afford a road bike any time soon and I've already replaced almost everything else on the bike. I keep seeing auctions for aluminium forks going reasonably cheap and I know the wheels should fit, the bit I don't get is how I work out if I need 1" or 1 1/8 ". How do I measure this?

Top Bottom