Replacing Freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok so I busted my freewheel by having my chain too tight so I'm now trying to replace. Got a new one, check, got the removal tool, check, can't get the flipping thing off! Any tips? I've tried a big spanner and the tool, I've tried a little spanner and the tool. I've tried precision engineering tools (hammer and a screwdriver) and it refuses to budge.

Do anyone have any hints or tips? From reading elsewhere I get the feeling that this is a job that needs doing fairly often.

Venod

Eh up
A mate had to use a long piece of tube over the spanner to remove one, he said it was the tightest threaded thing he had ever undone and he's being mending machinery all his life, good luck.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Or put the removal thingy in a vice that's fixed to something utterly immovable (a Workmate won't do) and heave on the wheel rim.

Also you could try dousing it in penetrating oil and gently warming it (gently so as not to burn all the grease out of the hub bearings). But if the thread wasn't greased or otherwise treated when it was fitted, and if you've used the bike when the roads are salted.... good luck!

tyred

Legendary Member
As the freewheel has departed this life anyway, if you have or at least can get access to good strong and well mounted vice with the jaws in good condition, unscrew the bearing race (clockwise - left hand thread) and remove the sprocket, bearings, pawls etc (or just bust the freewheel) and hold the inner body in the vice, tighten it very tight and then unscrew using the wheel as a lever.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
You need:
1. Freewheel removal tool
2. Socket to fit the removal tool
3. A breaker bar

My freewheels/cogs come off really easily, but then I make a point of greasing the threads throroughly before fitting (and if I buy a bike new, I remove, grease, and refit before riding very far).

zigzag

Veteran
the way i do it (always worked): take the wheel, put the four prong removal tool on the freewheel and secure it by tightening axle nut/bolt (use a penny washer if needed) finger tight. stand in a doorway, wheel resting against the door frame or a wall to your left - this will prevent it from rolling as you apply the torque (put an old t-shirt or similar between the tyre and wall to prevent tyre marks). take a big spanner and tighten the worm screw as much as you can against the freewheel tool. left hand gripping the top of the wheel, right one undoing the freewheel. if it doesn't budge, turn around grab the wheel with your right hand, door frame with left, stand on the spanner and try jumping gently - this worked when the freewheel was ba$tard tight. reinstall the freewheel with copper grease on the threads to prevent seizing up.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sorry forgot to update. LBS did the work and replaced the freewheel (meaning I still have a spare) for £15. I really need to get sorted on fixed though....

Top Bottom