Replacing inner-tube problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karimali831

This is my first puncture on my road bike, so I purchased another one. Replacing the inner tube on a road bike is soo complicated! The thinner, the tighter and I even had to use knives.

After replacing, I pumped it then the next 5 minutes it went down again (without riding). I had to use a knife to place the wheel in again and tried my best not to touch the inner tube but obviously it did.

Surely there is an easier way to remove the tyre and I am doing it completely wrong? MTB = soo much easier.

Thanks for any help/advise

theboytaylor

Probably best off having a look in the "Know How" section, there will be plenty of threads there.

Lord knows why I'm even asking but how / why are you using knives? You do know knives are sharp and inner tubes don't like sharp things, don't you ;)?

Edited to say: perhaps ask a Moderator to move your thread to Know How, you're prob not going to get many answers here.

Cranky

I'm celebrating a little today. After many lectures and demonstrations by more experienced cyclists and a wheelchair user I actually managed to replace a tyre using only my thumbs. Usually I have to resort to tyre levers of various types. Knives, however, are not a good idea.

jayce

i use tyre levers to get the tyre off and use my thumbs to get it on ,it is quite easy to pinch a tube with levers so god knows wot damage you can do with a blade ,and damage to your rims be careful fella

banger

Veteran
Brings a smile to my face to hear some one using cutlery as tyre leavers, as im my distant youth when tyres leavers were were for cars and trucks we used to use the back end of forks to remove a tight tyre , they were actualt very effective as the 'forked' part could be held by a spoke just like modern bike tyre leavers. My mother was'nt too impressed with all her forks being bent!! ....

OP
OP
K

karimali831

User3143 said:
A knife? Use a good set of tyre levers. Put the innertube and tyre on pump the tyre up to about 20psi, then go around the wheel ''bedding'' the tyre in so it doesn't potentially bulge when you pump it up.

I bought tyre levers in Tesco and I've got to say, they are useless. They are jsut not sharp enough to be able to pull out. I need something like a knife, but obviously not sharp as it.

The tyre is too damn tight! I just bought another inner tube and really don't want to mess up this time :laugh: Is it worth it bringing it to the shop for them to replace?

jayce

what wheel is is ive heard that some makes can be very hard to fit a tyre ,i think the wheel is in a cycle + mag a few months back it took 3 people to fit it

theboytaylor

+1

There are all sorts of rim / rim tape / tyre incompatibility issues - think there's a thread on it somewhere.

I once tried to get a Gatorskin on my rear wheel and ended up with two massive blood blisters on my thumbs :wacko: and still no tyre on the fecking rim!! Tried a different tyre (Racelite Hardcase) and popped it on no problem.

Maybe take it all in to the LBS and they might be able to work out the problem, maybe change your rim tape or suggest a different tyre. Also, the Park Tools levers are pretty good - pretty sturdy in my experience with a decent lip to get under the tyre bead.

Top Bottom