Replacing KMX Steering Bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyBa

I had noticed an intermittant metallic knock from my KMX Typhoon so I checked if anything was loose. I noted the front nearside axle was loose which I tightened (the front axles have a nyloc nut at each end of the axle is this normal?).
I also noted that the right steering had some play. I've removed the bearings on my X class before and if I remember correctly there is a "crush tube" between the upper and lower bearing and if I can dislodge this enough it allows me to knock one bearing out which in turn allows me to knock the other on out. The problem is that lack of previous maintenance means the crush tube and both upper and lower bearing are rusted together.
Anybody got any ideas on a way forward?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Last edited:

Andrew1971

Veteran
How old is the frame and some pic's. I will look at my spare frame see if can work some thing out.
Andrew

OP
OP
A

AndyBa

See the pic below. Im not too sure how old the trike is because I bought it second hand last year. Its an S series.

Looks like the bolt has been revolving in the bearing rather than bearing running free!

Did you say you have a "spare frame"....?

Attachments

• 15056739858891291241890.jpg
    15056739858891291241890.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 98

Andrew1971

Veteran
Here's a pic of mine

20170919_190649.jpg
As you can see there is a tube that goes all the way through both ball races top and bottom. So getting that out will make life easier.
Do the bearing's turn. Is the bolt the right size.
Yes I do have a spare frame BUT the rear fork is slightly twisted when in top gear chain was rubbing on the frame. KMX sent a brand new frame.rear wheel and chain tube's under warranty. Frame is 2 year old.
Andrew

My thinking ......
It looks there's a small ridge around the bearing.
Turn the trike over and support the headset on a block with a spare/old bearing or correct size nut in between the block and headset.
As long as the anti-crush tube has no shoulders on it, this will let you drift the tube down with a BIG ^_^ hammer.

My thinking ......
It looks there's a small ridge around the bearing.
Turn the trike over and support the headset on a block with a spare/old bearing or correct size nut in between the block and headset.
As long as the anti-crush tube has no shoulders on it, this will let you drift the tube down with a BIG ^_^ hammer.

if it is a true anticrush tube , it will have shoulders

Why don't you get in touch with KMX and ask them how to get it out

Too easy :notworthy:...:angel:....:cheers:.....

it would destroy an illusion if they didn't know.

regards emma

if it is a true anticrush tube , it will have shoulders
I got the idea from here .........
I've removed the bearings on my X class before and if I remember correctly there is a "crush tube" between the upper and lower bearing and if I can dislodge this enough it allows me to knock one bearing out which in turn allows me to knock the other on out.
If the tube had shoulders then knocking the tube out would also remove a bearing at the same time.
So I can see it being only one straight tube or at best two tubes with one inside the other.
ICE use a straight tube which just fits between the bearings inner faces in there wheels.
I don't think Carry Freedom uses one in their trailer wheels but you put a lot less force on trailer wheels.
I still think support one bearing while you drift the tube out is the best way to go.

Luck ........ ^_^

OP
OP
A

AndyBa

As above I was thinking it was like my x class too. That was like a sealed bearing hub on a bike wheel with the crush tube between the bearings NOT through the bearings which would be soooo much easier!
I'm having problems dislodging one end or the other so I can expose part of the inner side of the bearing and knoking it out. I believe the caps the bearings seat in don't allow the bearings to be knocked through from one side or another. Again beliving it's like my x class.

I'll post a pic of my x class bits later!

Hmmm
Andy

OP
OP
A

AndyBa

Ahh, Andrew and Tigerbiten are both correct! I'm wrong.... It isn't like the x class!
So I managed to knock it out as described. Its all nice and rusty in there so both sets of bearings need replacing!

Top Bottom