Replacing MTB tyres with road tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snoop51

I thought replacing the "Knobly" tyres on my MTB would be an easy way of getting a quick entry to commuting. However I have what purport to be 26" knoblies & purchased some Michelin 26" City tyres when they arrived they are a larger diameter than the rims. The sizing on the new tyres are 650 x 35A am I being stupid please help.;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
snoop51 said:
I thought replacing the "Knobly" tyres on my MTB would be an easy way of getting a quick entry to commuting. However I have what purport to be 26" knoblies & purchased some Michelin 26" City tyres when they arrived they are a larger diameter than the rims. The sizing on the new tyres are 650 x 35A am I being stupid please help.;)
Not stupid, just a victim of ignorance. 650 is a sort of 26", but isn't the same as the 26" on your MTB. That's 26" in English money, not some bizarre continental 26"....... The trick is to look for the sizing. If it's in inches, (such as 26x1.25) it'll fit your MTB, if it's in mm, as you have quoted above, then it'll fit a 650 only

Will the supplier take them back? And has s/he got any proper 26" to swap them for?

JediGoat

Formerly Phump
Remember that if you purchased them online (or mail order) the Distance Selling Act applies, and you can return them within 7 days for a refund. Mind you, it may be cheaper to just sell them on, than pay for the postage.

Jo

smeg

Mr Pig said:
And make sure you get puncture resistant tyres! I use Specialized Nimbus Armadillo, very reliable tyre.
Michelin City tyres are puncture proof, I've got those on my MTB, haven't had a single puncture. In a year of commuting with those I have pulled out shards of glass, sharp bits of stones/flint, thorns, a nasty twisty piece of wire... They seem indestructible nothing goes through them. The only thing is with them being slicks they're a bit slippy in the wet, and when there's ice on the roads even more so. ;)

threefingerjoe

Über Member
smeg said:
... The only thing is with them being slicks they're a bit slippy in the wet, and when there's ice on the roads even more so. ;)

"slippy in the wet?" a "slick"? I hate to break the news, but if that tyre is "slippy in the wet", it's not due to it being a slick. A slick gives you the best traction that you can possibly get in the wet. What did you slip on? A paint stripe? A metal manhole lid? Oil? Those surfaces will be slippery no matter what kind of tyre you have.

Ice is another story. Any tyre will slip on ice, unless it's a studded tyre.

smeg

threefingerjoe said:
A slick gives you the best traction that you can possibly get in the wet.
Do you think so? Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one then.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bikes don't need tread on tyres for road use.....to aquaplane takes some silly speed - well over 100 mph.

Traction etc is down to road conditions and of course tyre compound. The likes of Michelin Pro Race, Conti GP 4000's etc, will corner in the wet far better than a standard tyre with tread - grippier compound, and more rubber on the ground.

All tyres have 'tread' - tread is the grippy rubber moulded on the outside of the tyre, over the radial/crossply carcasse.
'Tread pattern' is what we're talking about, not 'tread' - even slicks have tread, just it's a smooth tread.

But Fossy's right - slick, non-tread-patterned tyres are fine on bikes in the wet, put more rubber on the road.
A patterned tread does not assist in grip on wet tarmac, has less rubber on the road and also introduces 'squirm', where the tread pattern moves around and gives even less grip.

Slicks don't work on a F1 racing car in the rain, they aquaplane or skate along on the water which pools-up under them.
But that's because a F1 rear tyre is 355mm wide and flat in profile, so a lot of water can pool under it - a bike tyre is say 23mm wide on a roadbike, or 1.5in on a typical MTB slick and is a curved profile : the rubber touching the road is about the width of your fingertip or less, so you don't get any water build-up underneath it or aquaplaning.

An offroad MTB knobbly does have a very agressive tread pattern, but that's for grip in soft surfaces like mud or sand, not for wet tarmac...

Top Bottom