Replacing racing tyres with terrain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fa66ster

Hi all,

I have a road bike with very thin wheels/tyres and am going on holiday with family on non-tarmac roads............my question is are there thin tyres on the market that could be put on to existing rims that would have more of an intermediate tyre than slick? The surface would be compacted limestone/chalk terrain. I really don't want to buy a whole new bike for a holiday?

Cheers.

I would be looking at Cyclocross style tyres, but the deciding factor would be how much tyre clearance your bike has, due to the increased cross section of the tyres.

Norm

Compacted chalk is a pretty dodgy surface in the wet, I wouldn't want to take road tyres onto it so I can understand the question.

+1 to everything which 2Loose said. What bike do you have and will does it have the clearance for larger tyres?

OP
OP
fa66ster

fa66ster

Norm said:
Compacted chalk is a pretty dodgy surface in the wet, I wouldn't want to take road tyres onto it so I can understand the question.

+1 to everything which 2Loose said. What bike do you have and will does it have the clearance for larger tyres?

I have a Carrera gryphon 'road pro' with limited tyre clearance on the rear......not looking promising is it?!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think Schwalbe CX Pro are about as small/thin as you can get in Cyclocross tyres. I had to remove my mudguards to fit mine though as I'd shortened the stays too much !

Excellent grip even on compacted chalk. Not too uncomfortable on road.

Should be easy to resell on t'Bay if you find they don't fit.

OP
OP
fa66ster

fa66ster

2Loose said:
I can't find a decent picture of the gryphon road pro to give it a proper guess, but it looks like you can manage 30+ tyres from what I could see...

what width are the tyres on there at the moment?

The tyre size is (25-622) 700 x 25C............I presume the 25 relates to width??

Norm

The 25 is indeed the width, in mm. If you have the 2.5mm extra clearance on either side, the tyres which porkypete linked to might fit.

OP
OP
fa66ster

fa66ster

Norm said:
The 25 is indeed the width, in mm. If you have the 2.5mm extra clearance on either side, the tyres which porkypete linked to might fit.
I'm sure there is at least 2.5mm on either side, but would need about 10mm total to ensure clearance surely?

Norm

Indeed, if you want to be precise, then I should have said:

Norm said:
The 25 is indeed the width, in mm. If you have at least the 2.5mm extra clearance on either side...

But I did say:
Norm said:
the tyres which porkypete linked to might fit.

Maybe it would be easier if, rather than guessing on what you meant by "limited tyre clearance on the rear", you said what clearance there actually was. That's both to the chain stays and, if it is also tight, under the brakes.

Top Bottom