Replacing spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarryG

Hi Guys,

I have taken a look at the rear wheel on the Royal Enfield that I have recently bought, When spinning it which it doesn't really do, there is about a good couple of cm / half inch movement in the wheel, just a slight buckle.

On further inspection I have noticed a couple of broken spokes and also some have been replaced but not tightened. I have been given spokes when I purchased the bike.

Now for the question, how tricky would it be for me to attempt to respoke and true the wheel myself and secondly, does anyone have any idea how much a LBS would usually charge to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Garry

SS Retro

My lbs charges £45 for rebuild with new DT Swiss spokes.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you have a little mechanical nous it's not difficult to replace spokes and true the wheel. My concern would be that, if there are spoke breakages, it might be that they are reaching the end of their life and should all be replaced.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi Guys,

I have taken a look at the rear wheel on the Royal Enfield that I have recently bought, When spinning it which it doesn't really do, there is about a good couple of cm / half inch movement in the wheel, just a slight buckle.

On further inspection I have noticed a couple of broken spokes and also some have been replaced but not tightened. I have been given spokes when I purchased the bike.

Now for the question, how tricky would it be for me to attempt to respoke and true the wheel myself and secondly, does anyone have any idea how much a LBS would usually charge to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Garry

I would advise you to go not just for a simple wheel truing but for a full spoke tension balance.

Top Bottom