Replacing Tiagra shifters with 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Hello,

I have just purchased some 105 10 speed shifters (currently in the post) and I am planning on installing these in place of my 10 speed Tiagra shifters.

Should this be relatively straight forward? And can I use the existing cables (inner and outer)?

I am a fairly competent DIY'er with all the tools.

There seems to be a lack of videos on youtube, unless anyone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

I would imagine that there should be no issues with it.

someone with far more experience than me will be along shortly to confirm.

you wont be disappointed with the 105 shifters either - good choice.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Thanks

Should I be able to use the existing cables? I think the 105 shifters may not have cable tensioner, and so, is an in-line cable tensioner required or is that only a nice to have (I can always tension form rear mech)?

Any advice on routing cables on the handlebar under the tape?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
replace all the cables. if you've not done them before, photograph the old cables in situ for reference, and do not throw the old cable outers away; they are useful for using to determine how long to cut the new ones.

if no proper bike cable cutters, consider asking lbs to do it, as using pliers or normal cable cutters will probably mash the ends of the outers and cause shifting problems...

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Spend a load of money on new shifters, then re-use the old cables... classic!

Yes you are right, I really should replace inners and outers throughout.

I use a Dremel multi tool for cutting the cables, better that the dedicated cable cutters I have.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have to ask what seems to me to be the obvious question but WHY? What was wrong with the Tiagra?

However, if you are insisting on swapping to the 105 then I would use new cables. Nothing quite refreshes the feel of the shifting experience like new cables (even if it doesn't last forever) and IME Shimano shifters normally come with new cables and outer anyway so it can hardly be neglected due to expense.

This from the CRC site....
upload_2014-9-30_12-18-24.png

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've recently changed from Tiagra to 105 shifters, simply because after years of using Campag I just couldn't stand the washing lines spouting out of the Tiagras. The shift is a bit sweeter, nothing to get excited about but you can't re-use the old cables because they won't be long enough to route along the bars..

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
I have to ask what seems to me to be the obvious question but WHY? What was wrong with the Tiagra?

Nothing wrong with the Tiagra shifters. This is just the start of a slow upgrade to 105. I am also keen to get rid of the 'washing lines' and tidy up the cockpit.

Overall, I got the 105 pair of shifter for £82 new, and by selling the current Tiagra shifters for around £40 - £50, makes this a relatively cheap upgrade.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
That was cheap £82??, my 105 triple set was £120 ish, they did come with all 4 cables inner and outer, I would highly recommend you change the inner and outers, they are straight forward enough to fit, you might need an inline adjuster for the front mech, but it is possible to set the front mech up pretty easily without an adjuster.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Yes I got the shifters from chain reaction cycles for £99.99, with code AUTUMN to get £15 off and 5% off through Quidco/Paypal.

The shifters actually arrived today. They only came with gear cable inner..

I will replace all the cable inners and outers.

Top Bottom