Replacing tyre.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,i struggled replacing new tyre/tube.On a 22mm rim actually broke tyre lever trying to fit 28mm continental, was 35mm Kenda Flint Ridge.Any answers,surely this should not be so hard.Tube only partially inflated.

If it's a question of tightness this video may help, if he can fit Marathon Plus's without tools then anything is possible.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Videos show better than a thousand words ever could, so go on YouTube and view some of the tutorials on fitting tight tyres, many of them will use a method where you "work" the tyre around the rim using both hands to push away from you, resulting in a satisfying "pop" as your hands meet on the far side and the bead drops in.
I've not had to use tyre levers in a while, and not many tyres really require them if you use this method.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've found that folding tyres can be the most difficult. I can fit most without levers. If you're finding it difficult pushing the bead on by hand try putting the wheel on the floor and wearing a pair of rubber soled shoes work from both sides to the middle.

OP
OP
Lurcher100

Lurcher100

Regular
Videos show better than a thousand words ever could, so go on YouTube and view some of the tutorials on fitting tight tyres, many of them will use a method where you "work" the tyre around the rim using both hands to push away from you, resulting in a satisfying "pop" as your hands meet on the far side and the bead drops in.
I've not had to use tyre levers in a while, and not many tyres really require them if you use this method.
Had failed to get bead into well of rim. Thanks.

OP
OP
Lurcher100

Lurcher100

Regular
I've found that folding tyres can be the most difficult. I can fit most without levers. If you're finding it difficult pushing the bead on by hand try putting the wheel on the floor and wearing a pair of rubber soled shoes work from both sides to the middle.
Thankyou, had failed to get bead fully into well of rim.

Advice is good above. I also agree that whatever tyre you were fitting, it won't be as hard to fit as Marathon+. The last one of those I bought, I literally separated the rubber from the wire while fitting it with my thumbs after fighting with it for half an hour or more! I was still in the store with my receipt, so got my money back and never bought them again.

One further piece of advice, you will still need levers to replace a tube**. I always assumed I would break at least one lever every time, until I bought Park Tool levers. This is at least 5 years ago, and I have never broken one of them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That Marathon Plus video is an absolute masterpiece. Even so, I've never managed to fit a M+ without the session ending with blood oozing out from under my thumbnails. They're awkward beasts.

Top Bottom