Replacing V Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
They are pretty much standard sized so should be interchangeable (but mini-Vs are different).

Usually V brakes don't open evenly despite adjuster screw tuning due to
a) arms set at different detent {usually there are 3} on the boss or
b) mechanism gunged up or
c) spring on either/both arm knackered.

It is worth finding the reason by disengaging the cable, check detent positions and feel each arm's spring tension with your hand, and see whether the tension adjustment screws on the arms can be set to equalise tension, and if not why not.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I replaced the XT V-brakes on my MTB with the el-cheapo Shimano Deore version HERE which is cheaper still than the LX but mechanically identical (same size/leverage/pads but better because plain black or all silver). The XT ones had a silly linkage that was meant to keep the pad parallel to the rim but actually allowed the pad to flop around making it impossible to set the toe or align the pad to stop it catching the tyre or slipping towards the spoke area. Cheaper can be much, much better sometimes.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Thanks for the help, have got them springing better now both sides, gave them a good soaking in WD type spray, and had a go at adjusting the little screws.

ILS-Those were the ones I originally looked at, I then linked to the LX by mistake.

New brakes put on hold for now, though I might need other new bits after a fall last night :angry:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I replaced the XT V-brakes on my MTB with the el-cheapo Shimano Deore version HERE which is cheaper still than the LX but mechanically identical (same size/leverage/pads but better because plain black or all silver). The XT ones had a silly linkage that was meant to keep the pad parallel to the rim but actually allowed the pad to flop around making it impossible to set the toe or align the pad to stop it catching the tyre or slipping towards the spoke area. Cheaper can be much, much better sometimes.

I have a pair of those, they are becoming somewhat collectable - yours probably just be a bit worn and need new homemade washers.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
No intentions of refurbing them but I still have the full front and rear set and if by 'collectible' you mean worth some money then I am open to offers (I just couldn't bring myself to throw XT bits in the bin)

They are certainly worth more old/used than what you paid for their replacement.

Top Bottom