Replacment Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I need to get new sets of brakes on my MTB and was wondering whether all v-brakes are much of a muchness really as they all seem fairly standard or were some better than others?

Also would it be worth getting a good set of cantis instead? Do they have improved stopping power over v-brakes?

Cheers!

bonj2

apparently kool-stop brake blocks are a better compound and give better stopping power.
although if you really want more power get disk brakes.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Some are definitely better than others. I say this because one of my bikes has the worst set - I think it's because the arms are thin and flex when the brakes are applied. The other bikes have better, stiffer brakes.

I'm afraid I can't reccommend any particular make, though, except to say, don't buy the cheapest - they'll be cheap for a reason, as I've discovered.

Someone will chip in with more helpful advice in a bit.

twowheelsgood

Definately not cantis. You need different levers and they aren't as good anyway.

In the Shimano range go no higher than the LX. XT and XTR have what they call the "parallel push mechanism" which can squeal like hell and is more trouble than it's worth.

And bonj is completely right in saying the koolstop salmon are very good. The standard Shimano pads are notoriously abrasive - i would not use them as I have nice new rims.

Pete

Also: do not fit cantis in front if you have front suspension. A mistake which, so I've heard, used to be seen even in off-the-shelf bikes, though I think most dealers are wise to it now! Problem is obvious when you think about it: as the sus works up and down the cable will tighten and slacken, making the brakes open and close when you least expect it!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Avid single digit work the best out of all the V's i've tried (and i've tried them all)
sd3, sd5 sd7 and the ti version all work exactly the same, so i'l leave it to you which ones you spend money on.

A well set up sd3 will work as well as the more expensive version

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
twowheelsgood said:
And bonj is completely right in saying the koolstop salmon are very good. The standard Shimano pads are notoriously abrasive - i would not use them as I have nice new rims.

What's the difference between koolstop salmon and koolstop black ?
The compound or just the colour ?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Black is standard compound
Salmon is soft compound

According to Wiggle anyway ;)

Top Bottom