Reporting Bad Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just curious - do you reckon the camera acts almost as an incentive to find bad stuff to film? I'm toying with the idea of one but I wonder if it would change my perception of the road and the way I ride. Any thoughts?

Listen to everyone above, they seem to know their stuff! :biggrin:

Looking at my videos it probably seems that I have a lot of incidents. I probably do have more than my fair share (the roads here in Glasgow are not designed with cyclists in mind and I do cycle on some busy roads), but in general my commutes are incident free. In fact the last few weeks have been pleasantly quite, despite the dark nights.

Commuting is great fun, I wouldn't want to go back to car/public transport and I hate days where I have to take the car.

Chuffy said:
Just curious - do you reckon the camera acts almost as an incentive to find bad stuff to film? I'm toying with the idea of one but I wonder if it would change my perception of the road and the way I ride. Any thoughts?

I honestly don't think so. In fact I think it has helped me chill out a bit. Incidents have a habit of finding you, you don't need to go searching for them.

I switch my camera on at the start and forget about it. I only remember about it when something happens, and then it prevents me from getting to angry, because I know that when I get to a computer I can put the mugs face/registration online.

I suppose I have found a sort of camera zen......:biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

This thread now makes me think that my comment yesterday about the Commuting section putting folk off was maybe misplaced. It's refreshing to hear so many of you speaking positively about cycle commuting.

OP - where you are in the country seems to have an effect. The closer you are to London, the worse the behaviour will be.

Start commuting, be assertive but not aggressive, read Cyclecraft if you feel you lack confidence on the road. I haven't read it but advice here on primary and secondary positions has proved pretty useful to me in preventing the opportunity for drivers to be idiotic. Buy a camera if it gives you confidence. Confidence, awareness and assertiveness are the three vital components of safe commuting if you ask me, and are the key to avoiding most dangerous situations, although there will be the occassional nutcase out there. When you encounter him/ her, damn right report it.

The impact of cycle commuting on your health is immense. I'd say your wallet too but you'll find you end up buying a lot of cycling gear with any saved cash!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would suggest reading cyclecraft even if you do feel confident on the road. We can all improve.

Chuffy, I also think the camera reduces the number of incidents I encounter. The best part is telling a driver that they're on video, it almost always stops any escalation right there and takes the wind right out of their sails. This is the best result - no incident to report.

catwoman

Don't let my thread about pre-Christmas motorist madness put you off! That sort of incident is thankfully rare. in my 25 years of commuting that sort of thing has only happened to me 3 times all in the run-up to Christmas.
I recommend Cyclecraft as well.
I wouldn't let an incident like that put me off cycling and echo the sentiments expressed with regard to the dread of public transport.:blush:
Cycling is healthy and it's (in the main) fun! Use the roads properly, be courteous to other road users, take your place on the road and above all enjoy it. :smile:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
BentMikey said:
I would suggest reading cyclecraft even if you do feel confident on the road. We can all improve.

Its on the amazon wish list. Now lets see if those people who say "what do you want for xmas?" will actually look at it!:blush::smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
bonj said:
I was the victim of appalling behaviour by a lorry today, basically riding along probably about 17mph in primary position because i was on a bendy bit with double white lines down the middle, and a lorry behind starts honking. I just stayed in primary and he honks a couple more times. When it straightens out and widens up i move over into secondary, and he overtakes and cuts in deliberately sharply to 'teach me a lesson', I had to brake and move really close to the kerb to avoid being taken out - I could tell it was a deliberate act of aggression 'cos when he pulled in his wheels got to about 3 inches from the kerb :smile: :blush:
Didn't spoil the ride though, I felt more dismayed than angry or endangered. But didn't stop me from when I got home reporting it to the police. I got a call from a very understanding pc in the neighbouring constabulary who says he will endeavour to go and VISIT the company tomorrow afternoon to speak to the boss and/or driver. Let's hope he will be as good as his word, I'm not taking that sort of bullying without doing something about it.

Time you got a video camera...

Top Bottom