Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noodle

There was a story linked on here last week where a teenager cut across a bus, it emergency stopped because of them and an OAP on the bus died from injuries sustained. That got reported because they tracked down the cyclist, they probably wouldn't if no one had died.

I think a lot of arguments on this forum are too happy to focus on death as being the only negative outcome that matters and any lesser consequences can be ignored. While they are unlikely to get reported and logged anywhere I'm not sure it's fair to discount anecdotal evidence with quite the vehemence that occurs when it is used just because there are no statistics to hand. Something doesn't have to be counted to actually exist.
but then pedants are denied the truth.....

cyclist on the phone, cyclist speeding, cyclist under the influence.......
one of three is illegal all have ramifications. would viewpoints be changed if it was illegal to use a mobile device while on a bike?

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Turning into a "big brother" nation, cameras everywhere!

Watched a short report yesterday on BBC1 looking at how certain crimes have been reported from head cameras of cyclists, mobile phone use was one of them and a bus driver was suspended because of it, however a duo on a moped stealing a mobile phone from a woman was also on there.

I'm partial to this, but it does frustrate me when driving and the guy infront is all over the shop because they're on the phone.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
I'm not proud of it but due to losing two loved ones because of a driver texting I shout when i see them. It gets me so angry! I used to work at a Telecommunications company and it was written into the contract that if you drove off the site using your phone it was instant dismissal, never upheld of course.

How important is a text or call or social media update??

Last edited:

Mile195

Veteran
I'm not proud of it but due to loosing two loved ones because of a driver texting I shout when i see them. It gets me so angry! I used to work at a Telecommunications company and it was written into the contract that if you drove off the site using your phone it was instant dismissal, never upheld of course.

How important is a text or call or social media update??
Not as important as playing a game apparently. I cycled past a guy in an astra van playing a game on his phone whilst on the moving, with little attempt to hide it. Phone calls at least they're looking out the windscreen, but texting or playing games is frankly reckless. I look forward to the day when it comes with an instant ban like drink driving.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Indeed. Why should motorists quit this activity if they see cyclists doing it. If we can't practice what we preach then we should go to Church over this matter.

I may be missing something... how on earth do you use a phone whilst cycling? I set Runkeeper going with a min delay before i put my helmet on and hide it away.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Indeed. Why should motorists quit this activity if they see cyclists doing it. If we can't practice what we preach then we should go to Church over this matter.
So you are saying it's ok for drivers to jump the lights because they see cyclists doing it? Or that we can't complain about it because we have seen a cyclist do it?

Cyclists on the phone aren't as dangerous as drivers by a long shot. They are far more cut off from sounds inside the car than the cyclist who would at least be more aware of the traffic, and you can't cycle at any speed whilst on the phone, I have phoned Mr Summerdays when on a separate cycle path to give him some information and my speed noticeably slows, and I can only do a basic, hi, message, bye.

Mile195

Veteran
So you are saying it's ok for drivers to jump the lights because they see cyclists doing it? Or that we can't complain about it because we have seen a cyclist do it?

Cyclists on the phone aren't as dangerous as drivers by a long shot. They are far more cut off from sounds inside the car than the cyclist who would at least be more aware of the traffic, and you can't cycle at any speed whilst on the phone, I have phoned Mr Summerdays when on a separate cycle path to give him some information and my speed noticeably slows, and I can only do a basic, hi, message, bye.
And in addition, the cyclist on the phone is more of a danger to himself than anyone else. Yes - you could plough into a ped, but you're more likely to get hit by a car as you drift out of lane. A driver on the phone is unlikely to get hurt when he ploughs into whatever doesn't get out of his way, but his victim won't be so lucky.

Crashes blamed on using a mobile rise 20% in just three years: RAC calls for crackdown on use at the wheel after overall accident rate drops
  • Crashes involving a mobile have risen by 20 per cent in the last three years
  • Fatalities in which mobiles have played a part have risen by five in a year
  • The RAC says mobile phone should be as 'unacceptable as drink-driving'
  • Using a phone behind the wheel lands drives three points and a £100 fine

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...verall-accident-rate-drops.html#ixzz3EgOsMFyP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

mgarl10024

Über Member
Whilst I understand that the argument that a driver on the phone can cause far more carnage than a cyclist, I expect all "road users" to focus 100% of their attention on the task of navigating safely - and as such my concern when seeing a driver using a phone stems from some of their attention being directed elsewhere. The same applies to a drunk driver.
So, when I see a cyclist, as a "road user", on their phone, my concern is the same - some of their attention is directed elsewhere. They are not, dare I suggest it, fully fulfilling the responsibilities of being a "road user", regardless of the potential outcomes due to their tonnage.

In addition, Isn't there a further argument under the guise of 'wanting to be treated like a vehicle'? - Indeed a common complaint of cyclists is that they aren't treated as such, and defensive road positioning is designed to assert that status. Even if they are wrong, if most drivers believe/feel that all vehicles should not have a driver on the phone, doesn't this go against the image of cyclists as vehicles? Aren't cyclists on phones doing an injustice to the rest of us?

Disclaimer: I've only read about the last 5 pages of posts on this thread.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst I agree to some extent, cyclists are less likely to be texting, I certainly can't! And I don't think you are as distracted from the outside world because you aren't inside a metal cage, somehow the phone seems to gain more importance in the car than the surroundings, and that's using it as a passenger.

crazyjoe101

The principle of you shouldn't be doing it whilst in charge of a vehicle applies equally to everyone until we start looking at the consequences of potential outcomes.

I get far more angry when I see a truck driver on their phone doing 20-30 along a residentual street than when I see a car driver doing it in gridlocked traffic, the same way I look at cyclists on the phone and think 'idiot', but look at motorists on the phone and think 'dangerous idiot'.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Friday High St Ken, a woman driving a Volvo XC90 couldn't turn left into Holland Rd, changed her mind swung back out to go towards High St shopping part and near had me off. It was so close I could see the white samsung smart phone she was using on her lap during the move. I gave a few hand signals to her and she drove off giving me a dirty look...........................shortly after a police car drove past me which I caught at the lights, I gave reg no etc but they really did seem totally uninterested.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
And in addition, the cyclist on the phone is more of a danger to himself than anyone else. Yes - you could plough into a ped, but you're more likely to get hit by a car as you drift out of lane. A driver on the phone is unlikely to get hurt when he ploughs into whatever doesn't get out of his way, but his victim won't be so lucky.

But you can just imagine how a driver feels if while using your phone, you ride into him and kill yourself. It may not be the drivers fault but it an awful thing to have to live with.

The bottom Line for all road users is if you want to use your phone STOP.

Top Bottom