Rescued this Holdsworth today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for that input Briggs682, I did think that myself about the name, it's in the same colour/font as the 'Holdsworth' on the down tube (albeit not much left now), but I suppose the supplying shop could have done that. I wondered if it might have been the factory fabricators/welders name. I new to this vintage lark
JonF hows the holdsworth coming on ? just to inspire you i got mine back yesterday and tokk it for a gentle 2 mile settle in ride tonight very nice if it stays dry will use it for commuting on this week

OP
OP
JonF

JonF

It's been stripped enough to fit through/put it in my loft :rolleyes: as I don't have much spare time atm and didn't want to leave it outside. However, I did take a note of the frame/fork number which is: 39848. Couldn't find any date marking on the brakes. I've been on http://www.nkilgariff.com/ but have not found anything to narrow it down to a year, any pointers? as I would like to find out and see if it's the year I was born...1974

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice. Should be a straighforward job. I would think it dates from around the mid sixties. You might find a manufacturing date on the moulded seat base. Have a look on the classicrendezvous.com site where there is some useful Holdsworth stuff. You might also be able to date it from the style of 531 decal, there is a dedicated site but cant remember the web address. Good luck.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I would think it dates from around the mid sixties.

^^^ I agree with this, it doesn't look like a 70s bike to me. Whatever the age, it's a very nice find indeed.

Oh yes, if you were to decide to sell it as a complete bike, be aware that the 'vultures' would probably strip it down and sell off the components individually. The frame, hubs and chainset would all fetch decent prices. It is a shame (imo), when old bikes are ruthlessly stripped down, just so someone can make a few quid on Ebay.

Ironically, this is particularly common within the V-CC; the club exists to promote the conservation :whistle: and preservation :whistle: of old bikes. It seems odd that so many (high-profile) members seek to buy old bikes (such as this Holdsworth), so that they can make a bob or two out of it. For many, the need to 'conserve' & 'preserve', is greatly outweighed by profit; consequently, the number of original bikes such as this, are gradually diminishing.

If this were my bike, I'd simply give it a thorough clean and use it . . . . . . . an excellent find ! :thumbsup:

Very sadly, our local refuse centre does not allow the retrieval of old bikes & frames :sad:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've never seen a Reynolds 531 transfer/decal like the one on this bike - if you could find any info. on it, it may help with dating the frame.

IMO (non-expert), I think that it might be a Holdsworth Hurricane or Mistral - but hopefully, someone will be along soon and provide the correct answer.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Amazing what a greased council operatives palm can do!

I've tried that; I was (sadly) told, that the entire site is monitored by CCTV. They said that they dare not risk taking anything out of the refuse containers, 'cos everything that they do is 'watched'. :sad:

mistral

Guru
...or saved someone else from taking it to the dump. Complete with cob webs and bird droppings everywhere, It's looking very sorry for itself at the moment, It might even be beyond my refurb skills, but once I've got the rubbish taken off it and it's first clean I'll take it from there.

Has anyone got any more info on it? Approx year of manufacture? Whats with the 'J Holmes' on the top tube?

Any info into it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a bit late to this and you may well have this info already - this site will sort out most of your questions
http://www.nkilgariff.com/

I don't think it's a Mistral, I've got an '81 Mistral and the seat stays wrap around the seat tube

Great find and I wish you good luck with the restore, it's well worth the effort as Holdsworth's are a lovely ride

OP
OP
JonF

JonF

So, sadly 18 months later I'm no further on in any sort of restoration, finding myself with no time even less space for it, I'm looking to sell it now and I'm not sure what to ask for it, any guidance?

Top Bottom