Research Survey for Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oelsal2

Hello,
I am a student at University of Illinois at Chicago and I am working with a team in order to research and design a traffic detection device that adapts with the terrain as you ride. We have some questions that will help benefit us during this researching process and it starts with you. If you can take a few minutes to fill out this survey we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1k85bzEG7Q_-U_oLN0hjJBZmYlNcqbup2SZCTsvjHqhI/edit

Sharky

Guru
Sorry, I did start to fill it out, but very quickly got into "cul de sac", with none of the answers really applicable to me.

My thoughts are that you don't need a detection system on the bike other than your own hearing and vision. I don't believe detection of a vehicle approaching at 50 mph from behind is going to make it safer.

It would be better to devise detection systems for the motorist, to detect slow moving objects ahead.

Good luck with your study.

400ixl

This technology and product is already on the market today. Have responded to the survey though.

One question I had to take the closest match, I tend to ride on rural roads rather than congested city roads. I would find more use in this situation where cars can't easily pass if is is a single lane than in a city on 2 way roads.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unable to submit the completed form.
Two attempts made, same result.

"Required Fields" isn't the best way of getting answers. If the question doesn't apply.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Got to this one:

Select the option that describes your bicycling environment *

City commuting using bike routes

City commuting on public roads

Using public roads but generally trying to avoid roads

Using bike trails and forest preserve routes

but but but, I don’t commute and don’t try to avoid roads, so…?

Sharky

Guru
Revisiting the survey, what events are you hoping to detect and once detected what actions are you expecting the cyclist to take.

I thought some of the replies were a bit harsh, then I completed the survey.
If I don't have a safety device I shouldn't have to answer questions on it.

I get this is a student project and I have no interest in such a device but the questions are poorly thought out. Especially the one about where we ride.

Best of luck with your research.

icowden

Veteran
OK, I had a go.

I think I understand what you were getting at with "using public roads but generally trying to avoid roads" although it could have been better worded. I presume you mean using roads but preferring cycle lanes where available.

Would using a "traffic detection device" increase your feeling of security while riding in the presence of motor vehicles?
If I'm riding in the presence of motor vehicles, why would I need a detection device? I can see, hear and smell the *&^*& things!

The next question about cost could have been worded better (e.g. up to $100, up to $200.) I don't have a problem with paying "less than" a range.

Would you be interested in a product that uses computer vision and machine learning to detect traffic and pedestrians behind you for improved safety?

Why would I want to detect pedestrians behind me? In case they chase after me?

Other that those observations, I have completed the survey.

Top Bottom