Resources for recumbent frame design

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm thinking idly about designing a cargo bike based on a tri- or quad-wheel recumbent, and wondering if there's a book or web resource containing the hard-won experience of people who've been down this path before.

The first thing I'm curious about: upright bikes are almost always diamond-framed (hence triangulated, or nearly so), and when you see a step-through frame the down tube is usually a lot thicker. The standard way to do a bent, though, seems to be a single boom running fore/aft, which must get a lot of bending forces. Would a triangulated recumbent frame allow for thinner tubes and lighter weight? If so, what are the disadvantages of that approach that means everyone uses the boom anyway?

byegad

Legendary Member
See the BHPC home page for details of plans to build your own recumbent.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
coruskate said:
I'm thinking idly about designing a cargo bike based on a tri- or quad-wheel recumbent, and wondering if there's a book or web resource containing the hard-won experience of people who've been down this path before.

The first thing I'm curious about: upright bikes are almost always diamond-framed (hence triangulated, or nearly so), and when you see a step-through frame the down tube is usually a lot thicker. The standard way to do a bent, though, seems to be a single boom running fore/aft, which must get a lot of bending forces. Would a triangulated recumbent frame allow for thinner tubes and lighter weight? If so, what are the disadvantages of that approach that means everyone uses the boom anyway?
I'm no engineer but if you had a triangular frame (with presumably one of the points of the triangle going to the boom) wouldn't it get in the way of your feet when you stop?

Chonker

Veteran
For a triangular structure to really be nice and stiff (like a diamond frame bike) the triangles have to be tall. The problem is with a recumbent position you are sat in the way of where the upper members would run.

If you put the triangles underneath the seat they'd be too short to gain an advantage weight wise, or you'd raise the seating hight too greatly (imo) causing larger frontal area with increased drag and more importantly raising the centre of gravity which could cause great instability and a tendancy to roll under cornering!

The easy answer is to take the top member up over the drivers head, but this would put a tube in your line of sight. Another idea is to make the structure with three tubes, one either side of the drivers head, or coming around either side of the body, but then that's increasing the weight!

I think the large diameter tube-in-bending construction that's currently used makes alot of sense compared with these alternatives. It's worth remembering that a large diameter thin walled tube can be stronger in bending (for the weight) than a small diameter thicker walled one.

The ideal solution in my opinion is to use a composite monocoque but that's going to be tough to design.

There are some interesting designs out there, I'm trying to find a bike I remember seeing in a manufacturers prototype section which had the frame come either side of the driver and the seat hung in between, Ill post if it I can find it.

If you do end up doing a quad, I recommend a lotus 7 for inspiration :birthday:

Alf

Guru
Chonker said:
For a triangular structure to really be nice and stiff (like a diamond frame bike) the triangles have to be tall. The problem is with a recumbent position you are sat in the way of where the upper members would run.

If you put the triangles underneath the seat they'd be too short to gain an advantage weight wise, or you'd raise the seating hight too greatly (imo) causing larger frontal area with increased drag and more importantly raising the centre of gravity which could cause great instability and a tendancy to roll under cornering!
Agreed that a recumbent doesn't have space for a big triangle without these major compromises. But, an alternative to the single fat tube that they all seem to use these days might be lots of little triangles of narrower diameter tubing, using the same kind of principle as the Moulton. In a high racer there might be enough space for a structure along those lines. It would probably cost a lot more to design and produce though.

Alf

dataretriever

Chonker said:
If you do end up doing a quad, I recommend a lotus 7 for inspiration :bravo:

What he said!

I had a lotus 7(alike) and it is the best thing ever for grin inducing cornering even beating my Q, The Q beats it for luggage carrying though.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Alf said:
... lots of little triangles of narrower diameter tubing, using the same kind of principle as the Moulton. In a high racer there might be enough space for a structure along those lines. It would probably cost a lot more to design and produce though.

Alf

It would definitely cost a lot more. I've counted the fillet-brazed joints in my spaceframe Moulton; there are about a hundred. Each one has to be accurately cut, brazed, filed and polished. You can't weld the tube; it's too thin (and anyway it'd be really ugly on thin tubes). It takes ages (I've built racks in a matching style - 20-odd joints a time).

My 'bent has a single large-diameter main tube.

Discounting the forks, it has eight (welded) joints.

Incidentally, the price of the latest, top-of-the-range Moulton is shortly rising to about £14,000. I won't be buying one.

Top Bottom