Responses to Times article objections

What do you think of the apology in the times today?

• Not needed - the original article was obviously a joke

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • More than I expected - time to move on

• Forgiven but not forgotten

• Too little too late - only adds insult to injury

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever he says, nothing short of court action will do

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcd

Now that we've heard back from Matthew Parris & James Harding, seems like a good time for a poll . . .

Melvil

He was a twonk, obviously, but the thing is, an increasingly strident response risks the result of making cyclists out to be po-faced puritan types/militants who will not hear a word said against them - nearly everyone I've seen on this forum is pretty open minded and intelligent and know that MP isn't really serious, just misguided and should be laughed at not hated.

Abitrary

gawd, just thinking about stuff I read in end of year newspaper reviews, I must have read about at least 4 or 5 people who said that their bugbears were cyclists. The ones I can think of are:

-Nigel Havers
-Bill Nighy

It's the ones you least suspect... isn't it?

Abitrary said:
gawd, just thinking about stuff I read in end of year newspaper reviews, I must have read about at least 4 or 5 people who said that their bugbears were cyclists. The ones I can think of are:

-Nigel Havers
-Bill Nighy

They all have 'flowing locks' - I conclude a 'trend'. :becool:

girofan

Melvil said:
He was a twonk, obviously, but the thing is, an increasingly strident response risks the result of making cyclists out to be po-faced puritan types/militants who will not hear a word said against them - nearly everyone I've seen on this forum is pretty open minded and intelligent and know that MP isn't really serious, just misguided and should be laughed at not hated.

Had an email today from Harding trying to defend Parris, as one would expect.
Trouble is Melvil, we know Parris is a prat, but what frightens me is that his 'advice' may be acted upon! This is why we should shout loud and long, to deter other prats from following his idiomatic logic, with columns of their own.
Writing an article such as this and then trying to claim that it was a joke as Harding has in his email, is not only dangerous but cowardly also!!

Abitrary

alecstilleyedye said:
i actually quite like parris, partly perhaps because i was once given a signed copy of his book scorn, a belting list of put downs and insults.

I like him purely for the reason he built a geo-thermal heating thing, about 100 yards long, in his land.

Actually, now I think of it, his anti-cycling stance negates his good intentions in doing this

mondobongo

Über Member
Yes he was a twonk but he should know better. It only takes one imbecile to put into practice what he suggested and someone could be maimed or worse.
The press need to calm down on this anti cycling stance overall as the idiots in this world are easily led.

The story achieved a huge response from cyclists all over the world, as far afield as NZ and USA. The first five pages of a "Matthew Parris cycling" Google search return results leading to websites featuring negative reactions to his article.

The Times has published a right-of-reply article from Alison Steed, and an apology (however mealy-mouthed) from Parris. It has also alienated thousands of cyclists, many of whom are in the high-earning, middle-class key readership demographic. Its editor and columnist know that this sort of writing is unacceptable and will provoke a strong reaction.

The article is being examined by the PCC for breach of its code of conduct, and the police have been informed.

I think we've won this one - time to move on.

Bigtallfatbloke

...well I for one am looking at trees a lot more carefully since that idiot posted his article...why?.....because i know that Essex chavs are more than capable of putting his suggestion into practice....sad...but true, he should be more careful in future.

BFTB, at least it appearedin the Times, not the Sun, Sport etc, so it's less likely to have been read by them!
Doesn't make what he said OK, but now time to move on.

Blue

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:

-Nigel Havers
-Bill Nighy

Don't forget to ponder on why these people list cyclists as their bugbears.

I've been cycling for years, own 3 bikes and currently cover about 175 miles PW. The bad cyclists I see daily around my own town get on my tits. Think how non cyclists must be having their attitudes coloured by them.

Sticking a bike between your legs doesn't make you a good person.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I got my email from yhr Times yesterday. It did seem a tad soft in it's appology for Parris. But he did say sorry in his article so I guess it's time to move on.
I don't suppose the chav types will take up his offer to piano wire us cyclists because almost without exception they won't read the Times, nor will their parents. I know that there have been instances on various cycle paths, the Bristol to Bath path springs to mind soI know it does happen. Parris and other hacks of his ilk need to be reminded that when writing an article in any publication, they need to be careful as there are a lot of impressionable people who may take up the cause that they are writing about.

U

User482

Blue said:
Don't forget to ponder on why these people list cyclists as their bugbears.

I've been cycling for years, own 3 bikes and currently cover about 175 miles PW. The bad cyclists I see daily around my own town get on my tits. Think how non cyclists must be having their attitudes coloured by them.

Sticking a bike between your legs doesn't make you a good person.

Reflecting on the vitriolic abuse I got for pointing out to a fellow cyclist that "red means stop" this morning, I'm inclined to agree.

Top Bottom