Resting Heart rate measured today by Nurse...46 bpm! OMG!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No wonder I've been feeling tired!

Went to the Doc's last week complaining that I was feeling sub-optimal in the "get-up-and-go" department. Booked in for some bloods and an ECG (History of CHD and on Beta-blockers). Lay down, got wired-up and hey presto 46 bpm much to the suprise of the Nurse who re-did the test to make sure.
think I might be over-medicated!
She was surprised I could get out of bed in the morning ;)

Oh well, let's see what the Doc says next week when the bloods are back ;)

Noodley

you sure you shouldn't post in this thread FF?:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3961

cycle forum posting from beyond the grave ;)

Jaded

Hmmm, or cycling too much! ;)

My resting BPM seems to hover about 48. As a student it was measured at 28, Now, that surprised people! ;)

col

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
Hmmm, or cycling too much! ;)

My resting BPM seems to hover about 48. As a student it was measured at 28, Now, that surprised people! ;)

Is it true miguel indurain had a resting pulse of 24 ?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Flippin 'eck Jaded....with a resting pulse of 28 you must have been one laid-back student!

Evenin' Mr Noodley Sir, I tell you, recently I've felt sometimes like I'm in a nether-world, the land of the living dead! Cycling's been a tad under par as well, I'm certain there's a reason (or is it since I quit the EPO?)

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Flippin 'eck Jaded....with a resting pulse of 28 you must have been one laid-back student!

Evenin' Mr Noodley Sir, I tell you, recently I've felt sometimes like I'm in a nether-world, the land of the living dead! Cycling's been a tad under par as well, I'm certain there's a reason (or is it since I quit the EPO?)

Evening FF. Maybe it's just time to buy a Brooks saddle, a Carradice saddlepack and accept old age ;)

When my dad used to run marathons he worried a nurse when his resting beat measured 43. The docotr was happy with it when he told them it was normal for him. A few years later it was discovered he had problems when his resting rate dropped to 33 and sometimes 25 in the night (he was wearing a heart rate monitor provided by doctors that recorded his heart rate) and now he has to have a pacemaker. It put the end to his club running and they kept messing around with the pacemaker settings. They origianlly put it so that when his heart rate rose to 80bpm it was instantly dropped to 60bpm ;). A bit crap when you're running up a hill.

Add to it that when your HR is measured in a medical context, even if it's just a 'routine' check-up, having someone medical fussing about measuring HR and BP, etc is usually a bit stressful so it'll push it up a bit.

It won't be the same 'resting' HR you'd measure yourself whilst lying in bed or on the sofa - they'll be used to seeing non-active people with a HR of 70 or 80.

nickwill

46 isn't particularly low for someone who excercizes regularly. Mineis about that with a max of 195. As someone else has said, its because the medics are used to dealing with couch potatoes!

Top Bottom