Restoration / Re-purposing - call it what you will :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I have recently bought a couple of 'classic' bikes, if 'classic' is the polite way of saying 'old' and 'old' means early 90s.

This thread though isn't about them, it's about a bike I found abandoned outside a supermarket. I noticed it unlocked on the Monday, and thought 'that's foolish'. I noticed it on unlocked on the Tuesday and thought 'that's brave.' I noticed unlocked on the Wednesday and thought 'that's stupid'. I noticed it unlocked on the Thursday and thought 'that's mine'

I rang the police and they took some details and told me to take it away - and if no-one claimed it in two weeks it was mine. I should point out here that it wasn't just there because someone shops at the same time as me, I'd seen it in the morning on the way to work, in the day when shopping and in the evening when I went home. It never moved.

So, the bike came home with me; in the back of the car actually, because on closer inspection the brakes didn't work and there is quite a steep hill on the way home. It's not legally mine until Thursday, but I've fettled it a little already, by which I mean I've tightened the headset and investigated the jammed front derallieur and immovable front cantilevers (and concluded that they are beyond saving) There are some other jobs that need doing, such as replacing the rear cassette, the chain and one of the chainrings: it seems the front derallieur has been seized for some time, or at least it hasn't been used which led it to be seized. The wheels themselves are slightly out of true, but saveable, and are on LX hubs that run smoothly.

What else? Well, the bike is a hybrid but has geometry that to me looks like it will work well with drops if I change the stem for one that has a little more rise, so I'm going to turn it into a rough-road bike that will be used for commuting and general hacking about the place duites, as well as hopefully one day being used as a tourer: it has bosses for racks front and rear, although the forks don't have the mounts for low-riders. It has twist-grip gear controls at the moment so I'm on the lookout for some bargain bar-end shifters.

No pictures as yet because, well, it isn't mine yet, and also because I didn't plan to start a thread, but I've got a few hours to kill and have enjoyed reading around the forum and thought I'd better add something back. I'll keep this updated if anyone is interested. The only picture I have to hand is of the front derallieur in a tub of Cola because I read that it can help clean things up, and that this is only partially an urban myth. I reasoned that at the moment I have a stuck-solid front mech, and the worst I can end up with is a stuck-solid mech that's a bit sticky.

Oh, and I'm going to paint it too. It's a steel frame and the paint has seen better days. In fact it's seen more paint - there are big chips on it, especially on top of one of the forks, where perhaps it's been leaned against a wall or something. In-keeping with the purchase price of zero, I'm going to do this by hand with Rustoleum paint. It may look awful, but it will at least cover all the metal. It may chip easily (the internet seems inconclusive on this) but if it does that will make it easy to take off and try something else. And as I have half a tin of rustoleum under the stairs anyway, I might as well try it.

So, there you go. Not much without pictures I suppose! Assuming no-one claims it before Thursday I'll strip it down this weekend if I get chance and put some pictures up.

young Ed

Veteran
sounds good
after thursday get pics up of whole bike and then as you strip it pics along the way please ;)
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
If you're interested I can certainly do pictures. I'm intrigued to find out what a day in cola has done for the front mech when I get home later :smile:

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
No pictures still because it's late and I'm tired, but I report that the coke has done nothing, and the front derallieur is still jammed solid. Maybe I should have used the real stuff instead of own brand stuff? Anyway, in the spirit of 'if it's already broke you might as well wreck it' I've decided that the idea of the coke thing was probably that it is mildly acidic - so I've gone for the next step in the acidity ladder and put some tomato sauce on.

I appreciate this may be beginning to sound like a hoax!

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Right - well the bike still isn't mine, but I think it's unlikely anyone will claim it before tomorrow.

In the meantime here is the front derallieur sitting in some coke:

IMG_20140408_080956.jpg

I mean, that's award winning photography right there.

Here it is with today's experiment - acidic tomato sauce:

IMG_20140409_074133.jpg

What seems to have happened is that the steel and aluminium bits have fused, presumably through age and lack of use. The middle ring is very worn, whereas the other two look ok, so it's either been jammed a long time, or just never used and therefore never moved. I'm pretty sure it's scrap to be honest, but it's interesting to experiment :smile:

Apologies if the pictures are enormous - I couldn't find a way to do thumbnails.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Well would you Adam and Eve it? The sauce has worked - the derallieur moves once more. I'm astonished!

(tomorrow the bike become actually mine)

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I put it in vinegar as well for a bit last night as it happens, just to see if it would clean it up anymore - largely because I had to go to the rob-dogs our local supermarket anyway last night and the boggo vinegar was only 30p a bottle. It doesn't seem to have done much, but the neither would I for 30p :smile:

I've not had a call from the police and it's been two weeks, so I assume the bike is now mine. No time for pictures as I've actually only put the computer on because I need the address to collect another (non bike) ebay purchase - but I did have a little mess with it last night, and my latest 'thing that is stuck' is the stem. This could be a problem if I am to change the bars as I have another one that I want to put on that has more height.

So far I haven't got the wedge out, although I think it has moved. The stem doesn't twist at all though. As we are running low on condiments, I have bought some penetrating oil but I'm not quite sure how to get it inbetween the stem and the forks. I might try boiling water on the headtube over the weekend to see if I can expand it enough.

young Ed

Veteran
i am guessing this is a quill stem?
try once you have loosened the allen bolt right off giving the bolt a good hard wack right on the head with a soft wooden or rubber mallet
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
i am guessing this is a quill stem?
try once you have loosened the allen bolt right off giving the bolt a good hard wack right on the head with a soft wooden or rubber mallet
Cheers Ed
It's a new one on me, Ed - the bolt loosened no problem, and I gave it the prescribed belt with a hammer, and I think it's dropped a little, but it hasn't come out. I've take the bolt out completely and nothing moves, so I assume the stem itself if stuck in the fork. I'm hoping the boiling water will expend the tube just enough to break the seal, as it were.

Top Bottom