Restoration recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
My old Alycon is due a respray, and I've shortlisted Argos, Dave Yates and Mercian. Anyone got experience of any of these, or offer an alternative? It's for a respray, lug lining etc.
Thanks

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Ive heard good things about Argos and Mercian. Not cheap but top quality work.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
I've just had two frames restored by Dave Yates (see my Dawes and Raleigh threads in here), again, not cheap but top notch work. I would probably go for the one that's nearest geographically.
PS For decals try H Lloyd Cycles at Penrith.
PPS If you want hi-res pics of my restored frames prior to build, pm me :-)

U

User482

Argos did a fantastic job restoring my Breezer mtb, including repairing a gouged chainstay, two colour paint and repro decals. My only complaint is that the paint chips a little easily. Cost about £200.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Thanks guys. Someone also mentioned the finish from Argos, so I'm not so sure about them. I have the transfers and have also managed to source an original brass head badge from France.

My local LBS recommended Colour Tech in Dartford (which is near to me). Anyone used them?
Cheers

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Thanks @screenman . I was in the shed when I posted, and I guess I got carried away when I saw they were local. Too much bad press on Google for Colour Tech, so it looks like it's going to be Mercian.

Odd that Enigma use Colour Tech though as they're a top quality outfit and I've seen some of their work, which looks stunning.

Thanks all.

David.T

Hi rb58,
Mercian have re sprayed three frames for me over time and all have been first class ,with perfect lining .
Photo attached of my king of Mercia re painted in 1987-88 and used continuously since. I would recommend them very highly Offer KoM in garden.jpg OIKoM head bage.jpg

Hello @rb58 do you have a local panel beater/spray shop nearby?

They may do the work for you at a reasonable cost. I suppose it depends on whether there is cycle specific work needed befor the respray.

Before and after pics would be good whatever you decide

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks guys. Someone also mentioned the finish from Argos, so I'm not so sure about them. I have the transfers and have also managed to source an original brass head badge from France.

My local LBS recommended Colour Tech in Dartford (which is near to me). Anyone used them?
Cheers
Fairly sure a couple of household name own brands use those Dartford boys.

Top Bottom