Restricted access to bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
Hi ,

After a two year layoff due to a back operation I'm now back on my bike.
Unfortunately I'm running out of steam around 35 miles and need to increase my bike stamina, but I work away from home so can only get on the bike at weekends (which is killing me mentally by the way!)

I'm going to the gym, and using the cycle and cross trainer when I'm away but is there anything more specific I could be doing to get my mileage up ? ( unfortunately taking the bike with me is a non-starter)

Thanks

Lee

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most people can ride for about an hour before they run out of energy. Are you using an energy supplement in your water bottle? There are loads of them around, all expensive and based on maltodextrin, which is pure carbohydrate. The cheapest way to buy it is in bulk from Myprotein. I find it helps enormously because even after 50 miles I'm not struggling so I can benefit more from a long sustained ride.

if you're 'running out of steam' at 35 miles, then start off slower and pace yourself - if you ride sensibly and eat properly then 50+ shouldn't be a problem. Time on the bike is the only way to build endurance, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
I wish I could do. 35 miles in an hour!

I can probably do 50 but the local clubs seem to want to ride them at 16-22 mph, so going slower wont help if I want to ride with others.

Yep I take food and drink,

I know it's a question of getting on the bike but was just hoping something else might help in the interim

Thx

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
How long have you been back on the bike? Have you built up gradually from short distances, over a number of weekends? I think you need to make sure you have done this and keep on gradually building up the distances. Perhaps in 10 mile incriments, after you reach, say 40 milers. No substitute for getting the miles in your legs / hours in the saddle, imho. Must be quite difficult if you're away a lot and only have the chance to ride at weekends. It will take some time but good luck and stick with it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I wish I could do. 35 miles in an hour!

I can probably do 50 but the local clubs seem to want to ride them at 16-22 mph, so going slower wont help if I want to ride with others.

Yep I take food and drink,

I know it's a question of getting on the bike but was just hoping something else might help in the interim

Thx

Yes it will, it will help you to build endurance and get you used to being in the saddle for hours on end, you cant ride 50 mile fast, if you cant ride 50 mile slow. Plus riding in a group you will be able to draft and will put in less work for a given speed, so will be able to go faster.

If you cant ride a proper bike during the week, then make yourself the gym's staple freak who rides on the bikes in there for hours on end.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
Hi, sorry if I confused everyone!
I can ride 50 miles slowly, but obviously that's on my own, I appreciate it will be easier in a group, I was just wondering if there was anything specific (other than hogging the bike in the gym) that I could do to accelerate my improvement

Thx

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ride distances greater than 50 mile would be a good idea. If you can ride further, generally speaking you can ride shorter distances faster (up to a point) and more comfortably. Partly due to physical improvement and partly because of self confidence, knowing you have that extra in the tank.

Also you could ride some shorter rides at an intensity that is beyond your current comfort level, for example 2x20 intervals, i.e. warm-up for 15 mins, then go 20 mins at a hard intensity, one you can only maintain for 20 mins, then rest for 3-5 mins (dont stop, just spin in an easy gear) and repeat. Then cool-down for 15 mins. If the second 20 interval end up being slower, you went too hard in the 1st interval, learn to pace yourself.

You could also take up running if you don't want to just hog the bike in the gym, this will help you develop your cardiovascular system and also develop some of the stabilising muscles that your cycling doesn't hit.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
Thanks, very useful, I'll give it a try.

Can't run unfortunately due to the impact on my back and knees

amaferanga

Veteran
Most people can ride for about an hour before they run out of energy. Are you using an energy supplement in your water bottle? There are loads of them around, all expensive and based on maltodextrin, which is pure carbohydrate. The cheapest way to buy it is in bulk from Myprotein. I find it helps enormously because even after 50 miles I'm not struggling so I can benefit more from a long sustained ride.

More like two hours actually....

Nebulous

Guru
What are you doing in the gym? My first winter cycling I was regularly grinding out 90 minutes on the exercise bike at a constant heartrate. I think it did some good in building stamina. I tried it last winter, but tired of the monotony and often landed up doing intervals. Might be worth giving it a go to build yourself up.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
Hi, not been back on the bike for long so I k ow its a matter of time, I'm not expecting miracles!

Can't get another bike as it is a hotel based job

Thanks for all the input anyway, I'll let you all know when I get some improvement

Top Bottom