Rests between rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We are all different and we all experience a fall off in athletic ability as we get older in different ways.

However, if you have no underlying health issues I would suggest that what you're experiencing is at the extreme end of "just getting older". To the extent that i, like others here, would suggest you don't necessarily accept your doctor's advice.

Why not cut out the weights for a couple of weeks and see if cycling is still making you tired. Really, 10-15 miles (unless at a fairly extreme effort level) shouldn't leave you tired the next day

vickster

Legendary Member
As asked, what else does your life involve? A full time job, be it manual or sedentary, lots of housework, gardening, running around after children or grandchildren, caring for a relative, other things that may be tiring?
Do you get enough sleep for you?

presumably you’ve not had Covid as that has been shown to cause post-viral fatigue syndrome?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As @vickster says, you have to take into account all your other activity. Leisure cycling does not have to be strenuous, but if added on to a lot of other physical activity, it can be the bit too much that results in fatigue afterwards.
Yesterday I did about 13 miles at an easy pace, felt OK after and no effects whatsoever today. Will be popping out again for an hour this afternoon if it's dry.
However, if I've had a tiring day at work, sometimes I'm not feeling energetic enough to go out for an evening ride even if the weather is perfect for cycling. Friday wasn't a strenuous day at work, so I felt fresh on Saturday morning. Because I wasn't carrying any tiredness over from Friday, the Saturday ride was a breeze. Hardly even felt my legs, even after walking a few miles later in the day.

simongt

Guru
Agree ref the posters who criticise the age issue. :cursing: Everone is different and it also depends on what else you do in your life; job etc.. I'm 67, weigh 66kg. and for the last eight years, I've been commuting to work twelve miles each way on a pretty much daily basis without any stamina / comfort issues. However, as I'm a warehouseman, my daily routine involves moving anything from boxes weighing 1kg. to pallets at 450kg. plus a lot of stretching, bending and twisting ( strictly to manual handling methods - ! ), I consider myself lucking in having the benefits of being at a gym every day and getting paid for it - ! :thumbsup:

MarkF

Guru
Agree ref the posters who criticise the age issue. :cursing: Everone is different and it also depends on what else you do in your life; job etc.. I'm 67, weigh 66kg. and for the last eight years, I've been commuting to work twelve miles each way on a pretty much daily basis without any stamina / comfort issues. However, as I'm a warehouseman, my daily routine involves moving anything from boxes weighing 1kg. to pallets at 450kg. plus a lot of stretching, bending and twisting ( strictly to manual handling methods - ! ), I consider myself lucking in having the benefits of being at a gym every day and getting paid for it - ! :thumbsup:

66kg, wow, how tall are you, 3'?^_^ Agree about your job, I am 57 and walk 8-12 miles every day at the hospital, moving people and stuff about. I thought I'd only do it for 5 years and retire at 60 but am now very aware of the health benefits I get paid to accept.:smile: So no tiredness or stamina issues when I ride, I think mentally I am bit giddy to be out on a bike as it negates the negative aspect of my job, being inside all day.

All uphill

Still rolling along
When I came back to regular cycling a couple of years ago I experienced fatigue for days after 25 mile rides. This lasted for several months.

Slowing down and eating and drinking sensibly resolved this for me. Now I can cycle 50 to 60 miles and will just feel pleasantly relaxed the next day.

I'm 65 and would also not accept age as a reason.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Okay, I just changed it up a bit today and went at a slow pace and did 10 miles without a problem. I'm talking maybe 10 to 12 mph though and just keeping things at my own pace. Would you say this is the best way to do it because I do feel I could do another 10 miles later today if I wanted. I'm not aching or anything now. I have an office job and my kids have all grown up and left home.

I'm 5ft 11" and weigh 16 stone, but some of that is muscle ^_^

Just one other thing that I didn't mention. I have about 5 pints of beer on the weekends down the pub, so might this be a problem or do any of you guys drink beer?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MBosh

How's your doctor mbosh?
Do they look well?
Well when she put it down to my age, I was going to ask her if she had far to travel to work and if she used a :bicycle:. Everyone always comments that I only look like I'm about 42 yrs old.

Not a very good surgery if you ask me. Same surgery that told my father he had a sore throat and it ended up being Cancer of the tonsil which then spread to his lymph nodes. Lucky they caught it in time after he went back a few months later.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Okay, I just changed it up a bit today and went at a slow pace and did 10 miles without a problem. I'm talking maybe 10 to 12 mph though and just keeping things at my own pace. Would you say this is the best way to do it because I do feel I could do another 10 miles later today if I wanted. I'm not aching or anything now. I have an office job and my kids have all grown up and left home.

Just one other thing that I didn't mention. I have about 5 pints of beer on the weekends down the pub, so might this be a problem or do any of you guys drink beer?
Beer will certainly be adding to your weight...and not the muscly bits...
cut it out for a few weeks and see how you fare

All uphill

Still rolling along

Sounds like you have found a good distance and pace to build from.👍

16 stone sounds pretty heavy to me; it will be easier to go further if you lose some of that, of course. Lots of cyclists (gals as well as guys) enjoy a beer or two, but I am not alone in discovering (belatedly)that my life is better without alcohol. As @vickster says you could have a break and see how you feel.

Good luck with learning what works for your body and mind!

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd suggest going a bit longer at an easy pace for one or two of your rides, which will help with your stamina. I used to be a fairly serious runner in my 30s and 40s and always worked an a hard day, easy day basis with my training, with a day off before a race. The problem with always doing the same distance is your body gets used to doing that. You need to push yourself a bit with gradually longer rides once or twice a week and then have recovery rides in between.

For me, one of the best things about cycling is that you can pick a route and have a very easy outing which actually helps with recovery from a hard day.

Shreds

There is a lot in the old truth of cycling that you get better at endurance as you get older.....but that is usually for those who have been club riders all their lives. On top of that believing you can do it is important too.

I did read however, that those who build a regular endurance tolerance in their teens and twenties have got a far better chance of being able to pick up again easily later in life, rather than tbose taking up the sport in their 50s and 60s. The latter are more at risk from health problems apparently.

So staying positive, I think you have a lot of good advice here, but some will have been doing large mileages for many years. Build up slowly, dont expect too much of yourself, and allow plenty of rest in between your sports.

So do your ten mile circuits three days a week, rest for two, then gradually increase the distance to say fifteen miles and change your route. Do this for a month and repeat. Twenty miles next time, but do keep an eye on your medical side of things too. Worth making sure you dont overdo it.

We all feel like we are still in our twenties, but may not quite move as fast or as far.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's a whole beer thread on here somewhere!

I tend to stop after 2 or 3 else I find it affects the cycling, but steering rather than stamina!

Shreds

Takes about half an hour to wear off, but you dont feel any pain during that time unless you fall off! Just leaden legs.

Top Bottom