Results lie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

A deliberately provocative title but on a daily basis at the moment I’m watching historic Giro coverage and it makes ‘one’ realise that if you only look at results it doesn’t tell the full story.
As in, the person who wins the stage isn’t necessarily the one who would have won had there not been other race factors at play (the 2015 Giro has a number of examples of this).

No issue, it is how it is but it makes me think I should know what was going on in a stage rather than look at the winner and think they were strongest on the day!

It's what makes (road) cycling the amazing, subtle, complex sport it is :smile:

(it's partially reflected in the way each Grand Tour stage has a number of different "winners" - there are the different jerseys, then there are GC riders who will be delighted with a quiet finish in the bunch, domestiques finishing 10 minutes down but satisfied, etc etc ... )

Cricketers love their Wisden - bike-racing fans know better ...

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

It's what makes (road) cycling the amazing, subtle, complex sport it is :smile:

(it's partially reflected in the way each Grand Tour stage has a number of different "winners" - there are the different jerseys, then there are GC riders who will be delighted with a quiet finish in the bunch, domestiques finishing 10 minutes down but satisfied, etc etc ... )

Cricketers love their Wisden - bike-racing fans know better ...

I do feel sorry for people who say ‘how can you spend hours watching people cycling’ there are, as you say, so many intricacies to almost every stage.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Are you listening to the (ex-Telegraph) Podcast daily coverage of their virtual Giro? Lots of stories from classic stages :smile:

No - but thank you. And, if you missed it, Eurosport are showing selected stages from past Giro’s but with some of the back-stories explained (I still think Simon Clarke thought he had won the stage!!!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I am a non-Eurosport pauper - hence sticking to free podcasts!
(they've just covered Cippolini's career - I've only seen him race in Le Tour; my, he was a character, wasn't he?? )
Sorry, corrected previous to Simon Clarke.
I’m lucky, I get Eurosport for ‘free’ on Virgin.
I’ve a rubbish memory, so I know Cippolini a bit but I need to continually watch cycling to be reminded of all the stories!

Top Bottom